Old 04-17-2008   #1
Ponchalida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
deso in late may

hi all, we are launching in late may for desolation canyon and curious if anyone has any info for that time period. this will be our first trip in deso; any info for this time would be helpful. also could have 5-7 open spots if anyone wants to come along, but would need to know by 4/21 am. thanks.

coronet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #2
Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
The run off should be good then if it warms up some, but sometimes the weather is un predictable that early. Take some rain gear. I've even had it snow in late May. Should be fun though. ron.

When the river stands in awe of me as I do her, I'll know I'm a kayaker.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #3
Palisade, Colorado
the shuttle is a bitch. hire an airplane if you can. make sure you have spare tires and requisite tools for Sand Wash road, lots of flats. mosquito-proof yourselves, although you'll be ahead of the real hellish hatches. T-up, wear your PFDs, stay hydrated, have fun. should be good water.
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #4
C. Springs, Colorado
I'm going down on the 3rd of May with a High School group.

I've been there several time in late April and found the mosquito's to be very annoying at the put in. They get unbearable in the Summer and could be a real problem at the end of May. I'm going prepared for the little bastards, as this is one of the latest put in's I've done. Last year I put in around the first of April and saw not a one. Every year I've gone before that we were there in mid to late April and they were just coming out for a bite to eat. End of May...........they could be out in full force. Don't be afraid to take head gear.

I always drink a cap full of vinagar in Vernal before heading down to the put in and repeat every two days as needed. I like using this method over the DEET spray method, but have used both at once in bad bug conditions. I'm taking both for this trip.

The weather should be plenty warm during the day...........but plan for cool the end of May. Enjoy!!
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote