Old 05-04-2012   #1
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Deso/ Gray Trip May 8th

I'm getting ready to run deso next week and i've never done it before. I'm super stoked and can't wait for it. I was looking for any info that might be helpful. I've got all the required stuff, bug spray included, but was wondering what everyone else does/brings on this trip that might be out of the ordinary. Also any side hikes, etc to not miss? we're planning on hiking most days but maybe there are some hidden gems that aren't talked about much? I've heard the "space cube" is sweet but can't really find info on where it is. Also what are the rapids going to look like in the 6-10,000 range. Based on the gauge and temps I believe that's the range it will be in.
Thanks a bunch!

powrider686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #2
cedar city, Utah
Pleasant flow for Deso.

Flat canyon petroglyphs are definitely worth seeing. Some folks really enjoy the firewater cabin. Rock Creek ranch is impressive. Wildflowers should be going crazy.

Bring rain gear! May in Deso can go from hot to downright cold in a minutes notice. We have had to treat people for the early stages of hypothermia twice on May trips. A good rain/shade tarp is essential.

Tons of catfish if you like to fish. Great for blackened fish tacos. They are small buggers but plenty of them (doing the natives a favor).

Left side permit opens up a lot of hiking and camping opportunities that are technically closed. Well worth the extra $30.

Have a great trip.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #3
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Hey powrider, just off Deso a week ago. No bugs to worry about then, but bring the deet anyway, the skeeters can be murder.
In addition to the flat canyon glyphs, a nice hike is around the rincon at 3 canyon. We did a layover at the lower camp there, but the upper camp looked like the one to snag if open, real nice white sandy beach. Don't miss the rock creek hike, cool clear water, Chandler Canyon for more creek action and more glyphs.

Have experienced hypothermia in July on Deso (hard to believe), so as Restrac says, bring and keep the rain gear handy.

Watch out for the gravel bar in Dripping springs rapid. When we went thru there was a raft stuck on a tree there in the middle of the river. Just stay in the channel on the right side and you should be ok.

Have a great trip!

ps the "space cube" is currently orbiting mars, at least it was.... maybe it was just a reaction to the datura.....

heres a pic of the raft

more snow = more water
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #4
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Deso April 2012
No bugs, but lots of catepillers in the cottonwoods

and on the beach

cactus flowers blooming

Good food

and drink

even some rafting!

(up periscope)

Just watch out for the darn beaver, he's real hungry right now.

Have a great trip!
more snow = more water
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012   #5
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Thanks for all the info! I'm stoked for the trip and preparing for all weather situations. What we're the water levels like in those last pictures? How's Joe Hutch Creek Rapid?
powrider686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012   #6
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Good advice from everyone. Run left at Joe Hutch. If you're worried, scout from left and you'll see the line better. Not a problem. Had to chuckle at the raft stuck in Dripping Springs. We call it the "Dreaded Dripping Springs Rapid." It's easy to get seduced toward the left or center because the river sweeps out and around a right hand bend but by all means STICK TO THE INSIDE CHANNEL, meaning FAR RIGHT, (the channel you want flows along the right bank of the river) and you'll avoid the gravel bars those people got stuck on. No bugs this time of year. Be prepared for wind. If it gets bad, get off the river and float early in the morning when it's calm. You can't fight Deso winds when they are howling. Have fun. One of my all-time favorite trips.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012   #7
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
Have fun! Deso's a great trip. Hit us an update on the bug situation when you get back, I've got a may 25 launch. Typically I haven't had problems with bugs then but it's a weird year do you never know. Would love to know in advance if the Mosquitos are out already. Thanks!

Pcdc2 is offline   Reply With Quote