Old 06-14-2011   #41
salt lake city, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
Deso on high!

The BLM is afraid of boaters w/poor gear and leadership, say, troop 666 from Eagle mountain Utah, they do not call steer ridge rapid Boy scout rapid for nothing. The turtles are (I belive, guide book put away) are in the mid 70's. you can find fossils of turtles in some layers. Look for yourself....they are very high H2Ocamps. Things have changed since 83-84...make your own new adventure

stevo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011   #42
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Launch on the 17th

We are launching on Friday, and I could not be more excited! (ok, and a little apprehensive...) But we are running only three rafts with experienced oars-people and are ready to rough it when all our sandy beaches are replaced by eddy parties of bloated cattle carcasses...

In fact, this will be my first non-working trip on this stretch (no teenagers to harass about sunscreen, hydration and goddammit-forget-about-your-tanlines-and-put-your-life-jacket-back-on) and I am practically giddy with thought of actually drinking a beer (gasp!) in the evenings while we cling to our allegedly shadeless cliffside! Or maybe it will just be time for some REALLY extreme bocce...mmmmmmm

Anyway, I know there were five private launches initially available for that day- so pm me if you will also be at Sandwash on Friday and maybe want to touch base about who else will be out on the river with you during an historic season.
We could also discuss campsite intentions if you like, but we are a small group and are more than willing to make new friends if there are limited options, and I get the feeling that improvisation will be the name of the game at this level...
Joyful boating!

LeftOfCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011   #43
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Look forward to hearing bout your trip leftofcenter. We have a launch date on 6/28. Enjoy
keexote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011   #44
Salt Lake, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Just got off Deso at 45,000 give or take. This was my first time ever running the river so I can't really compare it to what it normally would be. That being said it was so so fun, i would go tomorrow if I could. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have and I'll do my best to answer them, looks lilke the river might have peaked, but it should hold near 40 for a bit.
skiersteve3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011   #45
Foco/Red Cliff (Vail), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Just got off. We ran June 8th-12th. Joe Hutch Rapid was no problem, smaller for sure. Joe Hutch creek rapid right before it was very large. We actually flipped a boat twice. Keep them straight and you will be fine but the 2nd flip was in the rapid about 2-3 above the takeout. Eddie caught the tail end of the boat and turned it, hit the next wave and went right over in one motion.

I "think" the other one was rattlesnake maybe? (sorry, I am horrible at rapid names, I'll try and confirm that". There is a rock right in the middle that pulled the boat in, tried to pivot off of it and turned the boat sideways for the next rapid. We rigged good and didn't loose a thing, even had a guidebook tucked into a tiedown strap and it was still there when we righted the boat! haha!

Bottom line is that the water was flowing probably 36k-47k the days we were there. Lots of flow, very fast water. Keep it straight and you are fine but there are plenty of places that it is easier said that done. Be ready for it.

Swimmers outside of the boat move very fast, keep them close. I got out to play in the flat sections and it doesn't take long to get far away from the boat. I wouldn't let children get out.
milehighassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011   #46
Foco/Red Cliff (Vail), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Camping wasn't a major issue. Double up where you can, listen/talk to the rangers. Take a camp if it is close, communicate with other groups on the river. Lots of washed out camps, but we found plenty. Smaller groups be considerate of larger groups and vice versa. If there is room for another group, invite people in. We were turned down by a group of two rafts (and two people) who were camped in a pretty large spot that had room for more boats and had PLENTY of land up top.

milehighassassin is offline   Reply With Quote