Old 05-21-2011   #21
cedar city, Utah
Thanks, Gremlin! Launch tomorrow and expecting some odd fluctuations in the level. Finally bought a sand stake (actually found one on Lake Powell while sea kayaking) and plan on using it to tie my rig off with two ropes.

Hoping the weather forecast for us is accurate....finally get to see temps in the 70s.

Will leave a short TR when I return next week.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011   #22
salt lake city, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
Just got off at 27500 cfs. The cow swim has some big waves, (10-15 ft) scouting needed. Heard some grand canyon savvy people call it a western "7", I would agree. The weather SUCKED but had fun anyway,. Wife ran in to a bear....good bear never came back. Use your best clean camp rules and keep that bear alive!

stevo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011   #23
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Joe Hutch Rapid 23,000 CFS May 19, 2011

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011   #24
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Just clickin' in to get trip report updates. Got a launch for June 17th. Looking forward to hearing more experiences as the waters keep going up (27,000 this morning!)
LeftOfCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011   #25
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Bigtuna just got off of it,he said the same thing that's been said over and over....Joe Hutch is big n legit and many others were just big wavetrains. He likened it to the "gems" in the GC
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #26
Foco/Red Cliff (Vail), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Will be putting in on the 8th, we'll be out the 13th. I'll update ASAP.
milehighassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #27
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I ran it in the 20's in the 90's and found that it was a ball! Big waves, fast short days, cottonwood trees drifting by.
noschoollikeoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #28
salt lake city, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
fatal on the green/deso

Ksl is reporting a fatality on Deso at wire fence rapid 72yo female flipped her IK. She did not respond to BLS. Be careful out there kids that H2O is COLD.
stevo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #29
santa cruz, California
Paddling Since: 93
thanks for the update regarding loss of life in deso. we launch on friday and are always intereested in the happenings in the canyon, anyone have boat ramp condition, is the water up to the parking lot?
snapdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011   #30
Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Just got off nine days in Deso/Grays. The water was a steady 30,000 for the whole week. Waves are choppy as opposed to large wave trains you find in the lower 20,000 range. Joe Hutch was no big deal, runnable on both sides. Right down the middle left run was the biggest line but the waves were not as large and rolling as at 23,000.

Wire Fence rapid is the one to watch out for followed by Three Fords. Wire Fence has a large boat grabbing hole near the bottom left of center that all the laterals flow towards. Start pulling right at the top of the rapid to avoid it. It grabbed my 14' gear boat a bit. Flipped one of our Maxi-Me's but my 14 year old daughter went right over the top in her Maxi-Me, got sucked back in and rowed out without indecent. The hole is very reminiscent of Last Chance in Westwater.

Three Fords has some bad holes river right against the cliff, stay down the middle and you won't have any problem.

Water is cold and moving fast, try not to swim because you will pass the boats quickly and be on your own. We watched a group of kids cliff jumping across from Firewater canyon and four of them got out into the current. Only two made it to shore - the other two went a half mile down the canyon unable to get out of the current before they disappeared from sight. We were on the Firewater side and could do nothing to assist. Do not be stupid at these water levels.

The mosquitoes are getting bad at the put in and the first day down the river but then are gone.

All in all the flow is no problem just be smart and know the water is cold. My 14 year old daughter can handle her own boat solo at these levels. Use common sense and watch out for the dead cows floating down the river.

BackCountry is offline   Reply With Quote