Old 03-20-2010   #1
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Deso Camps

Heading for Deso April 24th. I've done Deso a couple times, but I'm leading the trip this time out. What are people's favorite camps? Especially for a possible layover, and some good side hikes. Thanks for the info. Praying hard for decent weather and decent water level for the trip. But at least we won't be eaten alive by mosquitos !!!!!!!!!

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010   #2
the last time I was there was in hot and no bugs. For campsites i liked "Below Wire Fence" because it was an easy walk to scout Three Fords and the three canyon sites for a layover with hikes and some rock art.
Have fun...I am jealous!

leo_amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010   #3
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I agree that three canyon is a great spot for a layover. Beautiful and great hiking. Have Fun!
Schenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #4
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Green - Desolation-Gray

If you see camps that aren't on this list, take a picture and send it in to Will so the page can be updated.

I would lay over and hike just about anywhere in that canyon... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #5
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I Love Will's website !!!!!! It Rocks. I've already contributed some Middle Fork camp pictures. My first Deso was kind of a blur..... high water & 9 days. Last year I was more tuned-in and paying attention to the camps on a 6 day trip at high water. This time we'll be at low water and 7 days. I'm hoping that the weather and water level will allow for one layover day. I'd like to check out some different camps this year if possible. I did spring for the Tribal permit, so river left is an option.
Here's a question regarding camping below Rock Creek. On my last two trips we camped past Rock Creek on river right at the very end of the bench just before the river turns hard left. The camp was great, and offered access to a small side canyon with a grainery a short distance up. My map (Duwain Whitis 2006 map) shows the camp, called Below Rock Creek camp. It's well over 1/4 mile from Rock Creek as required, but we had a group float by last year and yell at us for camping there. I don't see the camp on Will's website. I did ask the ranger when I called in to pay for my permit, and she said that camp was ok to use. Anyone know for sure???? We don't want to break any rules, but it's a wonderful camp, and a potential layover spot.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote