Old 07-28-2009   #11
303, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
This is more realistic for instant gradification, but let's keep the momentum going on the dam idea and see what we can pull together as a community!!
I agree.

I would hate to see us just go after the dam and then in a few years, nothing come of it. I would assume the idea of cleaning the dam has been brought up before and there is probably some reason nothing has happened to it...I.E.owner of the division not wanting things to change, politics, cost... who knows. It has enough gradient to make it into something cool though.

"I would lick it up if it weren't all glassified and on concrete"
CUkayakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #12
Golden, Colorado
Maybe think of it like this: something in the park that will help the playboating community and non-paddlers remember Derk and then something in the long term for the diversion dam that will help the creeking community remember Derk and will be something that Derk would have wanted done if he was still here.

I had no idea that Derk was such an awesome playboater until I saw some of the video clips that folks posted after he died. I about fell over when I saw him throw that crazy stuff in that Avon park video. I'm hardly ever at the parks so I never saw him going nuts in a playboat. I saw him at places like the SSV creeking clinic that Jackson put on and I saw him at the putin/takeout of just about every class IV/V creek I ever ran around here. He was one heck of a well-rounded paddler.

Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #13
Right near the beach...BOYEEEEE, Brahbrobrahdo
I would like to Volunteer my band (Big Richard...6 piece rock band) for any fundraising type events you guys come up with...I never knew Derk..but I live in his neighborhood and after reading all these posts...feel like I really missed out. If I can help in any way...please let me know...we could put a concert together to raise money...or whatever you guys would like...I just feel like as a member of this community...I should do something...and music is one of the greatest ways to heal souls and bring people together in celebration.

Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #14
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996

Great ideas everyone! I think we should do it all in the long run. However I do feel it's is important to get some sort of memorial going and finished by next Spring. Someone posted the idea of a "bronzed version of The New Testament" with duct tape and all next to a bench or tree just waiting for Derk to put his notes in after running CC at 682.6 cfs-lol. The bench I put in for James McFarland was relatively inexpensive and was a big tribute to his life and important for his family. Fixing that DAMN DIVERSION would be great too. However we need to get something going while we still have good weather on our side and while it's still fresh in everyone's mind. Food for thought.
T-ROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #15
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
derk will always be fresh in our thoughts. i don't think anybody should put any kind of time line on something so meaningful better do it right than shannty and quick!
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #16
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I agree that it should be done right and that just putting something half ass up next week wouldn't do justice to Derk or his family and friends. However, since I've done this before, I know that the more time it takes the harder it is to get people involved. People are less likely to donate to a cause that happened a year ago. Fund raising is the toughest part of getting a permanent memorial. In conclusion, Derk meant a lot to all of us. It is crucial that we remember him and at least get the ball rolling so we can get-r-done and get it right. I'm sure this Buzz thread will generate all the necessary components to doing it right the 1st time and ideas on how to raise all the funds for the appropriate memorial to honor COUNT DERKULA!
T-ROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #17
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
ON the topic of raising money I've got a few pointers. My mother was a professional fundraiser for years and told me the following tips.

1. Take donations - If it costs you to do something you might as well not do it. For example if you do a bake sale you pay $5 for a cake mix, you might sell the cake for $7. Your donation is only $3, you might as well just have donated the 5.

2. Make it REALLY easy to donate. Online is best because anyone anywhere can do it. If I lived in the middle of nowhere and decided I wanted to donate but didn't have the chance for a few weeks I would probably forget. She suggested a button on the website. One on mountain buzz would have been best but even on the website make for him would be good.

3. If you can charge admittance to something free, do. For instance, if a keg was donated to a benefit, charge for cups. My brothers fraternity can't charge for alcohol and is required to serve sodas. Therefore to pay for their beer they charge for cups instead of "selling alcohol". This is an idea if a concert or some such thing were done, charge to attend or to get food/drink that would preferably be donated.

The biggest rule is that if you have to pay for it you won't make enough to make it worth it.

My own personal opinion on the memorial is that we should aim for the dam. If it's not possible and we have extra money, donate it to First Descents or something. I think he wouldn't particularly want a bench or some such thing but I think if we can't aim as high as the dam the bronzed New Testament would be the way to go. Just my personal opinion.
"If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water." - Loren Eiseley
Count's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #18
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Christine, sorry I have not gotten back to you yet, I am on vacation this week with my family in Vermont.

As my colleague Shane already indicated I did not know Derk, but I am personally willing to help out however I can. I would say depending on the solution that folks wanted to see we could probably develop a less costly "fix" for the dam, although I am not familiar with it. I am back in on the 3rd.

Thoughts and prayers to Derk's friends and family...
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #19
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
While I don't know much about fixing dams, this has to be the very easiest of scenarios. It is already runnable; it just has some sticky holes and rebar to mitigate. Sure seems like two mixers trucks strategically dumped would take care of it.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #20
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
As a hydraulic engineer, I am willing to help with the dam design.

As a DJ, I would offer to help with any kind of fundraiser.

rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote