Old 07-18-2011   #11
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
ART of Strappage Tribute/Memorial/Photos

I remember seeing a post a few years back when I first started kayaking, something titled along the likes of 'The Art of Strappage.' It had a pic of Derk's ole' suby legacy I think with like 12 (or More??) kayaks strapped to it.

I think it would be a nice gesture to his enthusiasm, character, and to Him as a person to see some pics of people's shuttle vehicles Creatively Strapped full of kayaks from today.

I never had the pleasure to get to know him personally, but he shot me a private message once when I first started kayaking when I posted up asking for Beta on the BV town run and that boat chute/dam. Gave great beta, and even offered to run it with my group and show us down. We never got around to it, but based off of all his posts, he was a very helpful and knowledgeable guy to newbies just entering the whitewater realm.

- Alex

If you're going to stick it out there, don't be afraid to get it cut off.
Airborne2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #12
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I'm thinking about heading up to paddle that section above Kermits...I don't know what its called...Town Run, maybe? Whatever the class III section is. I would be coming from South Broadway in Denver, so get in touch if you want to talk about a carpool.
303. four four four four 713

"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #13
Shit Creek, Colorado
The weather is here, wish you were beautiful. Beer is cold, cooler is full. Checked out the creek a couple hours ago, it is nothing but clear water and lots of white.
Speak of Peace, (but carry a big gun)
powdahound76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #14
Lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
i'll be drivin down from boulder if anyone wants to carpool
tequilamockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #15
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Derk and I graduated high school together before I became a boater. Remember the days when we used to gripe about AP Chem with Barth and talk physics in Bio. Really smart kid. I'd love to honor his memory unfortunately I live in Fort Collins. Anybody want to run the Poudre today, like bridges or filter this afternoon to honor a really great kid.
Jmannhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #16
Summit County, and Idaho
Cant believe its been 2 years since the count passed! Glad we have a place to go where we can all come together and remember a great kid. Both here, and on the river.
"Do it for Derk" stickers still litter the stop signs in his neighborhood. It was an eerie reminder when I left the Keens today and these stickers are still up everywhere as I drove by.
Derks life was cut short for sure, but he did more living in his time than 1/2 the people I know.

Have a great time on the river for those of you that make it out
Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #17
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
Saw more "do it for Derk" stickers in Scummit today than I have in a long time, or I was just looking for them more than usual... always brings a smile!
Discover Denver, stay there!
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #18
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
I took my wife on this run recently and it was good to know that a part of him lives on through his write ups on Eddyflower. A bit of sadness putting on behind Keystone Lodge and I thought of his Dad, Luke who is the GM there and said a short prayer and remembrance.

Lower Snake

One of the others in our party was rockin a COUNT sticker on her boat.
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #19
Shit Creek, Colorado
It was an awesome paddle yesterday. Thanks to all who made it. Sorry for the short notice for those who wanted to come but couldnt make it.
Hope others got to paddle somewhere and enjoy a wonderful memory of Derk.
Speak of Peace, (but carry a big gun)
powdahound76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #20
Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: noob

I bumped The Art of Strappage thread last week or so. Love to see it back up and running. No responses yet I think.

Please feel free to start it back up as it was a fun thread, thx!

Souls don't die, they just take a different shape. Here's to The Count wherever he is now and to living life to the fullest & full of heart.

Oh Be Joyful! is offline   Reply With Quote