Old 10-01-2015   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Denver Water Contact Replacement

I've been our semi-official Denver Water contact for the last 5 years. Due to a number of reasons, I think its time to hand this over to a new volunteer. The duties are as follows:

-Constantly monitor Roberts tunnel and north fork south platte flows
-Communicate with Denver Water to understand upcoming plans
-Communicate DW plans to mountainbuzz to enable better paddle planning
-Understand DW operations to inform paddling community
-Be a good steward for the paddling community in your discussions with Denver Water.
-Potentially attend annual south platte protection plan meeting
-Note: Bailey Fest planning will not likely be part of this requirement and will likely be done separately. It could be part of the duties depending on person and future planning.

Requirements (or preferred qualifications) for the job:
-Paddle bailey/foxton frequently
-Gauge geek who understands flows on this stretch
-Regular to mountainbuzz and willing to post info frequently
-Good communication skills and people skills to work with Denver Water
-Time / motivation to speak with Denver Water multiple times per week during season.
-Motivation to keep this up for 1-3 yrs, and not let it drop
-Can delegate duty to reliable 2nd if out of town or unable to post/contact DW

In a typical week, I would check gauges every morning, and give Denver a water a call several times a week. Calls range from 3-10 mins depending on how much info there is to share. I would post updates where there were changes or info that boaters could use. Its not a huge time commitment, but it requires some dedication and weekly consistency.

If you are interested in taking this over, please PM me.

As to why I would like to hand it over... a couple reasons. One is that life / work / family are getting busier and busier for me, and I am finding it difficult to carve out the time to communicate with Denver Water. I also think it would get good to let new folks who are interested in volunteering and supporting the boating community take a turn to let more folks get experience doing this.

I have learned a lot over the years talking to the DW water folks. I'm happy to pass on my knowledge to whomever takes over. Its been a lot of fun doing this, and I found it very enjoyable.

Lots of good memories... one sticks out right now... sitting in the office, April 2011, standard AM gauge check... holy crap they just turned up the tunnel to 500 cfs. Called Denver Water immediately. They were doing a pulse test for some reason and were going to turn the tunnel right back down. I had calculated transit times from tunnel to bailey to pine gauge many times, so I knew it would take the pulse about 2 hrs to get to the put in from the tunnel. I immediately hauled ass to bailey, managed to yank David Spiegel out of class, and I think Craig Phillips joined us too. We put on to brown high april flows and rode the bubble all the way to the takeout. By the time we got back to the put in to finish shuttle, the water was already back to no flow. One of many amazing days on bailey over the last 5 years, and proof that being an obsessive gauge geek sometimes pays off big time.

Turn on the tunnel!

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I hope someone passionate and responsible steps up to the task. You have done us all a great service Ian. Thank you.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015   #3
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Ian, the amount of work and dedication you have put in to your job as the go-between is phenomenal. Cheers to all of your work, you have truly offered an incredible amount of service to the Colorado boating community that few could match. If the next person puts in half of the effort you did, it will still be an amazing resource. Hopefully you will have some AWESOME river karma for the rest of your life after this. Thanks again, and three cheers!!
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote