Old 11-11-2013   #1
Denver, Colorado
December paddling, where to go?...

My friend and I are taking a road trip Dec.10-22 this season and are trying to find ideas on where to go.

We are kayakers looking for class 3-4. We can paddle bailey, gore, blackrock, easy v- type stuff, but dont mind stepping it back as its getting colder.

We are in colorado, and looking to go to pnw, cali, or east/se coast.

Where would you go, what has water?

We are trying to do a small loop, or paddle in close prox. locations to save money and gas.

We will be bike shuttle, and hoping to meet locals.

BTK. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013   #2
Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Shoshone is a short but fun class III to IV-. It's near Glenwood and is easy to bike shuttle and is runnable year round.

Colorado // Kayaking // Skiing // Film
Caleb125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #3
Denver, Colorado
bump for a few more options please.

we are now thinking pnw, but the east is still an option, also california. does anyone have a solid idea on where to go this time of year?

class 3-4 we can run some 5, we also wouldnt mind a nice park n huck. right now we are thinking celebrity falls in oregon, thoughts?
BTK. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #4
I have paddled all three at that time of year.
Cali is probably the least dependable in December - Just depends on the rain. My impression was the south fork of the american does not run that often in december but I could be wrong. The South Yuba Edwards to 49 is nice 3/4 that I ran at christmas time and North Yuba sierra city. The winter I was there it was

South can be great and you always run the Chattooga and the upper Green. I could spend a week on the sections 3 and 4. Great class 3/4. Everything else is rain dependent. You could stop off at the Tellico and all the tennessee runs on the way.

PNW is more dependable for rain. They are already starting out with some good storm cycles. I don't know any class 3/4 up there but Canyon Creek of washington is one of the most classic easy 5 waterfall runs when the flows are reasonable with the exception of the big one which is certainly easier than Celestial.

I would be loaded up and look at the weather then decide.
friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #5
Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
California is in a draught, unless there is a massive dump the American, feather, yuba are not going go right now. Burnt ranch is in, and I think there might be some 5+ stuff going down south. Go to the PNW!
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #6
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Go to the northwest. Looks like its running already.

3-4 in and near the Columbia Gorge: White Salmon, Hood River, Sandy River, Clackamas River, White River, Deschutes River.

4-5-: Farmlands, Green Truss, Wind River, E Fork Lewis, Canyon Creek, Celestial.

and many more. It will be cold, but at least you'll have water.

Or you could just run Shoshone for 12 days straight.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013   #7
Mentone, Alabama
Paddling Since: 2000

Mexico, of course! How has this not been said.
granolapaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013   #8
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2012
^ jmack is spot on for the Columbia Gorge area in SW Washington / NW Oregon area. I didn't even realize there was an on season here. Just a slightly less boney one!
pentaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013   #9
West fork of the hood is nice class IV and pretty if it isn't snowed in. Opal creek is another awesome lesser known option. Check out Oregon Kayaking index of rivers and creeks and play it by ear depending on the weather. It will be cold but relatively manageable. Big rain events can happen that time of the year and can really make things spicy.

paulk is offline   Reply With Quote