Old 07-04-2012   #11
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
We're talking about moving flatwater here. If I had witnessed someone in distress and had a pfd on I would not hesitate to help. I do understand the hazards involved, but you can assist without direct physical contact.
Your making an assumption that the witnesses were river runners wearing PFD's. More likely, they were fishing the pools below the class III South Canyon rapid.

Very sad story. Unfortunatley, people will not learn from it. Today we saw many people tubing the same river without PFDs. And, another victim in "moving flatwater" without a PFD. People were there to assist and administer CPR but could not revive.

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #12
fun hog
D-go go, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990

mountainjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #13
out there, Colorado
Originally Posted by riverscum2012 View Post
so..the step dad puts a 12 year a pfd..the kid does not know how to swim..and he drowns. Is this not child abuse?
not child abuse... stupidity and poor judgement, yes.
boredrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #14
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
No PFD = DEAD, nuff said?
Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012   #15
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
They found the boy, so sad.
Also a SUPer died below Grizzly Creek yesterday. No PFD. Even calmer water can be deadly so everyone PLEASE WEAR YOUR PFD! AND IF YOU DONT HAVE ONE BUY IT OR STAY HOME!
Missing boy's body found below South Canyon |
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012   #16
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008

My heart goes out to both families. As rafters/kayakers we all know the seriousness of wearing a PFD. Others mustn't perceive the river dangerous. I suppose if no one ever told you how easy it was to die on a river, you might think it's easy.
That wave train right before the bridge in South Canyon IS fun but I could see how an ill-equipped person could get injured (or sadly in this case die). That a 13-year-old boy lost his life takes my breath away. As a mother, I can imagine nothing worse than that.
We too have seen tubers in cheap Wal-mart floats & weak tubes put in at South Canyon & wanted to say something to them about the folly of that choice but I didn't because I thought, "Not my business".
Now I think I will say something with kindness, love & diplomacy, as no one wants to be scolded or insulted. My thoughts and prayers are with both families.
Perhaps the county should put up signs that advise NO TUBES or FLOATS & remind everyone that PFDs MUST be worn & that people HAVE died on these sections of the river. It might give everyone pause & might save a life.
ttr230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012   #17
e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
The second tragedy mentioned needs some points for all to review!

This is all hearsay but pretty good sources:
He forgot his PFD and decided to go anyways.
he did have his helmet on and it was reportedly damaged.
He had a leash, not sure on how it was attached but his board was hung up in the river and he was still attached to it.

Please! wear your PFD and use a proper leash attachment on a SUP!
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012   #18
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
My heart breaks for the Young family at the loss of Cathy's beloved husband & the girls' beloved father. What a wonderful family they are. So many people will miss Scott. There are no words to express the sadness of this tragedy. I can not begin to fathom what they are enduring right now.

ttr230 is offline   Reply With Quote