Old 04-17-2006   #1
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2004
Death on Shoshone?

Does anyone know what happened regarding the death on the Shoshone (or it may have been barrel) this Sunday?

I believe it was a rafter training with a rafting company.

To anyone who was a friend or family member, I am so sorry this has happened.

WisegirlII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006   #2
In this bullshit three-ring circus sideshow of freaks, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1986
Send a message via AIM to kayakArkansas
I know this is completely off topic, and I am very sorry to hear of a loss of a fellow boater. My thoughts go out to the friends and family. But to the person who posted this thread...reading your signature I'm thinking you are a WSOP fan?? Just wondering if that was the quote I thought it was...sorry to stray from the topic.

kayakArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006   #3
He seemed to swim out of the raft in the pourover in the second drop of Shoshone before the wall. There is a really big pourover reciriculating back very far right in the middle of the river at this flow. You would'nt even see it if you floated by but it is bad when you float into it. Be careful of this pourover, I think they call it Marty's Diner.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006   #4
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2004
Craporadon - Shoshone gets run so often and when you hear of something happening to someone with knowledge of the river (assuming here) it makes you wonder if there's anything you need to know or be reminded of. Thanks for the info.

Kayakark - I just like Mike M. he makes me laugh.
WisegirlII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006   #5
that sucks so early in the season.

Marty's diner can get pretty big and hold you for a while. I am suprised at this level that it would be deadly though. My heart goes out to the family and the rafting company involved.

I myself trained on shoshone and browns. We had an incedent that still haunts me. In browns a good friend of mine was in training and the loud mouth of the group led the boat into an overhanging tree. Boat flipped and pinned under the tree with my friend pinned under the boat! She finally wriggled out after almost 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Spent an hour on the side of the river trying to regain her composure. After that on the same day I took the worse swim of my life in class 4 cydel's suckhole and got recirculated for about 30 seconds.

But rafting training can be rough, we had to swim maneater, the last rapid in shoshone voluntarily. We swam out in our pfd's and just went for the ride getting dunked regularly. Pretty crazy stuff. One kid kept trying to stand up in maneater. He's very lucky he didn't get himself in a foot entrapment.

Anyway rivers are great if you respect them but can be dangerous. Its a price anyone of us could pay to enjoy mother nature. God bless the person whom passed and thier loved ones.
Jobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006   #6

Anyone know what injuries he got when "thrown from the boat"?
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006   #7
Sounds like he was kayaking...not rafting....or at least thats what the lame ass Post Independent said...
wholesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006   #8
I'm very sorry to the friends and family of Jason. My thoughts and heart go out to them all.

Does anyone have any addtitional information as to his injuries.
telegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006   #9
Engineer, Vail
I went down to the shosone on sat afternoon and when I got there there was a fire engine and ambulence, and the mountian white water descents school bus. I remeber going up the the guy from the company and asking him how the river was and he never responded and looked really freaked out. It was definetly and erie day, cold and overcast, with nobody else on the river. None of those guys even told me a thing.
kakahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006   #10
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
From "The Coloradoan", the Ft. Collins newspaper:

Drowning victim seemed 'a natural' for river rafting guide job

A Fort Collins man who died Saturday near Glenwood Springs while training to be a river rafting guide was an avid outdoorsman who seemed to be a natural for the job.

Jason Hansen, 30, died after falling out of a raft as it maneuvered through a section of Glenwood Canyon. He is the first person to die this year on the Colorado River.

Hansen was training with 12 other people from the Fort Collins-based Mountain Whitewater Descents. His coworkers were able to pull him from the river less than a minute after he fell in, but attempts to resuscitate him were not successful.

For more on this story, read WednesdayÂ’s Coloradoan.

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote