Old 11-23-2009   #21
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by GoodTimes View Post
We're talking about two weeks of time here....

The impact??? We're talking about anchor bolts hammer-drilled into railroad and roadwork construction debris that is already littered with rebar and railroad ties. Do you REALLY think anyone is going to notice 1" diameter holes in concrete debris??? Because that's all that'll be left when they're done.
Well said. Opposition to this on practical grounds - like environmental impact - doesn't have a foot to stand on. If traffic is the reason - then you must also assail raft trips on the ark - they generate 250,000 people visiting the Valley by car. This is a temporary change that will boost the main economic driver of the ARK Valley - Tourism. I think that the Pink color scheme is what is really scaring people.

I think insulting the dead is a very low path to take. After someones death Clown is only a appropriate term for those who worked in the circus or at children's birthdays parties. Call their ideas what you will, but leave the person some dignity - or you tarnish your own.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009   #22
Lakewood, Colorado
1. I remember reading that while the actual fabric may only be up for the two week show, preparation and cleanup will stretch the project to something around three years. This was taken from the artists' timeline. That's a long time to deal with yellow heavy machinery all over the place.

2. Although the artist may have good intentions regarding the safety of the project, that doesn't mean the construction workers will share that passion. Anyone who has ever been around construction knows that the general attitude is "out of sight, out of mind." Often that means trash is buried in the ground or hidden under the floor. Here that means in the river. "Oh shit, I just dropped that 50' cable. Oh well, gone now."

3. That section is certainly not wilderness, but geez, it ain't like it's the Platte. Is it really that ugly? I've never really noticed as I'm staring at the beautiful high desert mountains around it. Will the money they want to spend on the extra cleanup do that much? Will the RR let them just come in and do as they please? I sure hope I'm wrong, but I just can't imagine a riparian utopia after this thing.

I've also softened a bit on this, but I'm still opposed and wrote a letter to the BLM about it. You should to if you're passionate about it either way. That being said, if it happens, I'll be the second one to float under it, assuming the first didn't get caught in a strainer...

mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009   #23
The project will last close to 3 years from start to finish, but that isn't quite the same thing as "yellow heavy machinery all over the place" for the duration of that time period.

The project web site: Over The River
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009   #24
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
Originally Posted by bluesky View Post
Of course, oil and gas is controversial too... does that make it art?
I've always thought the Eiffel tower looked like an oil derrick? At least we tear them down when we're done and move on.
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #25
Originally Posted by Demosthenes View Post
I never said "gee I'm glad that bitch is dead", and I certainly don't think that. Clown may have been a bit insensitive, but any sense of elation I communicated was purely because what would have been one of the largest cases of vandalism in history was averted.
You may as well as said that. JHFC, I can't believe you have the gall to call this project, which actually has a cleanup plan, "one of the largest cases of vandalism in history." You've obviously been hyperventilating on your hyperbole and need a field trip to a strip mine, strip mall, Leadville, anywhere they've ever done dredge mining, or Aurora.

When you dehumanize someone for whatever your cause is, you throw away a piece of your soul.

I'll boat til the rivers run dry
CoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote