Old 08-24-2006   #11
Horrible stuff, this.

That spot is still weird at 250. I used to paddle and instruct there a lot at low flows. My concern with a swimmer w/o a lifejacket at 250 cfs is getting hung up on the riff-raff that is underneath Hollywood, after getting taken down while trying to swim the eddy fence.

I was surfing Hollywood in 98 or 99 @ like 800cfs, got worked in the hole, swam and then it still took me for a couple of unexpected and nasty body surfs -- i.e. coughing up chunks of foam coolers and other SP flotsam. I do remember an unfriendly river-bottom from that experience.

Hartje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #12
If the body was just floating on the surface, even in that large debris filled eddy, I'm pretty sure the rescue team would have found it. They aren't idiots--that was probably the first place they looked.

I like cayo's point about having water rescue teams use a kayaker, but I bet it is awful work and lousy pay--get called any time and stay on the river until 12:45am? I guess you do it to help, but after a few incidents, it would really start to drag. Perhaps CWWA can see if hooking up some expert kayakers with Golden/Denver water rescue has possibilities.

cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #13
salida, Colorado
these boys will grow up with the trauma and guilt of watching their dad die saving their lives and you guys are talking about what????
psu96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #14
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Wow, a paper printed something sensible and educational about how moving water works and creates hazards. It might be a first. Well done, Don.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #15
Guess I'm just a stubborn dickhead.I still maintain that it SHOULD NOT take9 firetrucks ,14 ambulances,10 cop cars,3 news helicopters*,and a dive team , 2 days to find someone at UNION AT 250. There must be some flukey circumstance.Not pointing fingers ,they did not cause the incident.

*being hyperbolic
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #16
pnw, Washington
Thats odd, when I brought up the link yesterday it was some unreadable text but now it brings up the article.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #17
Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
9 firetrucks / 14 ambulances?? What they hell do you need that many for a 1 person rescue???
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #18
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
Englewood needs to clean it up.....

I went down to Union and walked it and boated it last weekend. Some of the things I noticed are:

A) The vegetation has grown in nicely in the last 8 years

B) There is a lot of debris, natural and man-made

C) Excessive amounts of sediment

The problem with the man-made structures are that they are magnets for debris of any sort and for catching sedimentary deposits that wash downstream and come in from the storm drains.

The City of Englewood needs to get their act together with the US Army Corps of Engineers and any other decision makers involved in managing the South Platte on that section and perform a clean-up of the debris areas and remove the sediments build-up. I know that some environmental types and Trout Unlimited might cringe at that, but seeing as they are man-made structures, we've already mucked up the environment.

Mixing man-made structures with natural vegetation is nice as it reduces the ugliness of the structures, but it does bring on new hazards to swimmers and boaters alike. Man-made structures, unless they are anchored deeply into the earth have a tendancy to wash out at the base from river hydraulic action. Combine that with the replanting of native and non-native plant species, such as the varieties of willow or cottonwood varieties, you start creating root strainers.

I'm not sure where that guy was found after he drowned, but I am sure that along with not having any floatation, that the current state of the river greatly attributed to his death. Maybe I am wrong......but I still think that area along with several others from C-470 & Santa Fe all the way to Confluence need some serious clean-up and dredging (both above and below all the man-made structures).
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #19
From my experience anytime you have a water rescue/recovery you tend to have all available fire/rescue & ambulance crews show up as part of their ongoing training.

You also need multiple med type people onscene just in case, we had 1 med crew per 2 diver/tenders anytime we were doing a search/recovery.
Don't do anything, just stand there.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #20
salida, Colorado
you guys need a tissue....why don't you join up or is it fun to put up posts and complain about things out of your control...don't PM me with your justifications about learning something... your just part of a bigger problem

psu96 is offline   Reply With Quote