Old 07-12-2007   #21
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
ämple amounts of ignorance to bring about his ultimate demise" nice phrasing!!

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #22
Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
Maybe he just wanted to see some Bears

Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #23
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
My condolences to the family.

Tubers are living/dead proof that natural selection takes place.
970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #24
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
I wasn't trying to compare or contrast the two. Just trying to give everyone some perspective about death.
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #25
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Feed back

Originally Posted by Phillips View Post
I wasn't trying to compare or contrast the two. Just trying to give everyone some perspective about death.

Anyone who has boated for a period of years has a perspective on death. We have either seenfirst hand, or known someone who has passed. We have all had to reflect on whether it is worth it.

The article says they approached and warned him. As a commercial trip they probably did everything they could. I agree with the prior postings that as a private boater, I might follow him down to pick up the carnage. The amazement and the jokes about the ignorance in this situation are expected.

I do find the flames on the guide services and the like on a couple other threads alot more disturbing. The forums response has changed from a here is how someone died, and possibly these things could have prevented it, to alot of Monday morning quarterbacking by individuals whose knowledge and experience are probably alot less than the parties involved. The recomendations and discussiionbs about lawsuits on the recent threads are mindblowing.

In this case, I'm surprised the accusations haven't boiled down to fat, out of shape, and improperly supervised while being of French and Texan decent.

In the end, the guy made a really bad choice and is dead. He was warned, and went on, so it's hard to express anything but contempt at his lack of judgment.

It is no less or more tragic then when one of our friends experiences a foot entrapment in a class three rapid they've run eight times before and dies. The difference is the utter stupidity of the circumstances.

Save your perspective on death garbage for your female ultimate "friends".

Yeah, I'm in a bad mood today!

Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #26
niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
on tubers and others

Just read the SLC article to see if it actually might have been someone who knew what they were doing. It obviously wasn't. I'm most sorry for the next of kin. I ran Cross a few weeks ago at around 1K with a couple of boaters in a large four person swimming pool lounger- but they wore jackets and helmets. And yes it was a clean run and no they didn't put a hole in it. And then there the guy in the late 80's early 90's who used to float the Gorge on a plastic aligator routinely- but again with a jacket and a helmet. Come to think of it, I also saw a dive rescue person running the gorge using a boogie board at around 2K. Depending upon your abilities and experience you can probably run nearly anything with next to nothing. Case in point- I have a friend who has never successfully run Gore Falls. Always winds up on river left without a boat......
wayniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #27
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by Canada View Post

Save your perspective on death garbage for your female ultimate "friends".

Yeah, I'm in a bad mood today!

I really don't know what your implying. I don't have any female ultimate "friends". I think the tuber jokes at some point are a little old. I agree the guy obviously didn't have a clue. Suicidal maybe, drugs? We can only guess what drove him to do this. We will probrably never find out. I really have nothing more to say on this issue.
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007   #28
Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
dead guy on beach

I heard they were looking for a body tuesday when we put in. Then some guy gave me a flyer about a missing woman from GJ. I thought about her all day,being a yaker and closer to water you can look around more then floating by in a raft.Got into the inner gorge and got to play on the waves ,thought how cool is this that I can come to release from the world for a few hours and feel total comfortable in the big drops,savorying all the play spots. Then feeling alittle spent, mentally preparing for the six miles paddle out,and there he was, dead guy on the beach ,all the senses take it in. Felt sorry for him. Heard they tried to talk him into spending the nite at L.D. but he tookoff any way.They thought he came all the way from loma?
I think he choose that end,to bad he made others go clean up after him.
despair will humans do strange things.I wonder who he was!
I hope they find her too.
ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007   #29
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Water makes up for it

Heya Rick,

I remember looking at the impression left in the sand where the fellow was found. I remember thinking... he drowned in this? I'm reminded that, yes, water can be brutally unforgiving and it is definitely sobering.

I still enjoyed the best day on Westwater I've ever had and was glad to share it with you.

WarriorOne is offline   Reply With Quote