Old 05-04-2011   #11
cedar city, Utah
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I am really on the fence on this one but the health risks to regional populations is something I should spend more time studying.

Its often hard to find quality information about these environmental and energy-based issues. I often want to research the issue but struggle finding non-partisan information and links to form educated decisions. The problem is similar to the proposed "oil-shale" and "tar-sands" mines for central Utah. Just hard to find unbiased information.

I will look into this issue more to better understand the numerous variables. Thanks again for taking the time to respond so thoughtfully.

Originally Posted by SC-GrandCanyon View Post
I'm glad you're thinking rationally about this. Hopefully I can help you understand why I feel so strongly that the mining ban is necessary to protect the

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #12
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006

There is a book called Yellow Dirt that tells about the mining in the 40's and the cancer rates, havent' read it yet but it's on my list

Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #13
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
The pine sol comment was not a racist remark, it was an observed fact by a friend of mine, and intended to point out that there are other factors that can be contributing to health concerns. Race isn't a factor at all here. Like you said, if white people are smoking crack and get cancer, I wouldn't necessarilly go blaming some mine or some other industry. It's quite possible that the crack is causing health issues. Just because a certain population is experiencing health issues doesn't necessarilly mean there is a direct correlation, that's the point. Over time, thjere are other changes to their environment beside the introduction of mining that can be contributing to their health issues. Hundreds of years ago, they probably, like white people, ate better. They didn't have chemicals of any kind in their diet. Now there are chemicals in everything. So when there ar eso many other factors that have been introduced and could have an impact on their issues, that's where it becomes difficult to prove. That's the point.

I won't argue the point any further, you're obviously determined to be right...
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #14
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2006
The correlation is spatial; it relates to distance from mine and mill waste. The rate of diabetes, for example, is even higher in those close to mine waste than the already elevated level on the rest of the reservation.

Thanks for the engaging discussion.

SC-GrandCanyon is offline   Reply With Quote