Old 05-29-2013   #31
Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Dane is amazing in the boat. I'm always blown away. But for me, this ride from Jason Craig in Reno a few weeks back really shows the best in hole boating: Jason Craig Reno River Festival 2013 - YouTube

David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #32
What's impressive about the ride is the ability to link a bunch of ridiculously technical tricks together... on a tiny, beginner feature. Although the video isn't as visually impressive to watch (and great for arm chair paddlers to critique) than a huge feature, I would argue that it's more impressive (i.e. takes more skill) to throw down on a small feature than a large one. Anyone can throw a blunt on a 6 foot Idaho wave... most can't blunt on a 12" hole... let alone link together a bunch of combos, and that deserves props, or at least the respect to shut up if you don't understand how technically flawless that ride was. I dream of the day that I will show up to Golden WWP and see someone surfing with that amplitude, but alas, 97% of kayakers are pretty boring to watch freestyle, regardless of the size of the feature. I find it inspiring to see what's possible on all those tiny little features that I float by because they are "too small."

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #33
Staghorn Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
That ride was sheer poetry to watch, irrespective of the size of the water. The vid doesn't capture that flavor. You had to be there.
BCxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #34
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Are there really four pages on a playboating thread? The ride was a sick wicked tight playboating ride which is like saying that the Gilmore Girls is a sick wicked tight television show. Its playboating.
970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #35
Gunnison, 81230
Paddling Since: 2005
Playboating still isn't dead though I noticed that Dane ended up getting a 2450 point ride last week. Does anyone have the video of that?
wabisabimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #36
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I think those might have been combined rides.

FIBArk Tom is offline   Reply With Quote