Old 08-29-2006   #21
te extrano mucho damo

gracias a todos por los mensajes de damo. el fue un hombre super valoroso y simpatico. el unico de mi corazon y mi vida. nosotros necesitan continuar y siguir nuestra corazons... vaya con rios en las montanas con sentimientos de nuestro maestro y solecito damon. el esta siempre con nosotros. suerte fuerte y amor... gracias. anita.

AQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #22
I met Damon on my first Grand Canyon trip in '97. I had just moved back to Jackson after the big city and that trip was truly cleansing. My favorite Damon memory on that trip:

We were scouting Lava on river right, high up on the rocks. Looking down into the monster hole I thought, 'holy shit, if I blow it and take my raft in there it's all over.' I was nervous to say the least. Next thing we know, Damon appears below us, in the current, totally going for it while we were up there overanalyzing the whole thing. Damon took a big piece of the right side of the hole, came out laughing and then farther downstream shot his boat way up the cheese-grater rock on the right - spun his f***ing kayak paddle over his head - screamed like a banshee, dropped back in the current and kept on going. Unbelievable. That was all the scouting I needed and it was also Damon's lesson to me: "don't sweat it, just go for it and celebrate." Right on brother.

TP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #23
I met Damon at the hospital - he arrived as a bunble of joy and enriched our lives for 33 years. He and his brother - Derek - have kept me afloat.
His life was special because he knew what he wanted. When he graduated from college - he thru his kayak over his shoulder and headed for Asia. I had a general idea where he was going, but after about 6 weeks and no contact - I started emailing the various rafting companies in Nepal to see if they had any info on him. Well - Equator emailed my back and said he was working with them - in fact he was on a 12 day trip on the Karnali. The last 3 weeks of his life he went on a 4,000 mile motorcycle trip to Mexico with his brother, saw his mom and Annie, spent 5 wonderful days with me (his pops) and ended it staying with Brian Ebert in Arizona. He died on a dirt road riding an XR600 back to Durango that he bought as a backup bike for the Baja 1000 - a race he and his brother we're going to do in November. So - here we are - clearly a place I never expected to be. Yet I have no regrets - nothing unsaid. My kids know - and knew - how much I loved them. That's because I told them - all the time!

Follow your heart - it makes for a wonderful journey!

Kent Miller - pops
buenodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #24
I know i'm a little late to this, but man...I am so pumped up after reading all the good things here. I was also one of Damon's old ABQ buddies. I sit here with tears welling, but also a great feeling of happiness when i remember the guy. He truly was the "real deal". I stayed with him in Durango a couple of years back while i was out traveling around and visiting family. He had a bedroll on the floor, a lamp by his side, maps on the wall, and his bag packed...ready for the next adventure. My idea of traveling was nowhere near Damon's idea of traveling, but thats one of the many reasons i loved the guy. He was the one we lived vicariously through. He was the one that pushed it to that edge. Whenever i got an email from him from some forgotten corner of the world, i felt like i was along for the ride. His love for life, for friends, and for adventure is something i will always strive for, even though i know i can't match it. He saw places and did things most mortals can't comprehend. I have always had the deepest respect for the dude and for his family. It's a severe blow to lose a loved one, but knowing the Miller boys i don't think its going to slow them down much.

It's good to hear what an impact he had on his other buds and how much everyone appreciated him, his courage, his comraderie and his life. My only regret is that i didn't get to spend more time with him in the past few years. I have a feeling he's up there charging it, and keeping an eye on his family and friends down here on this little blue planet.
Rock on, brother...

Ryno is offline   Reply With Quote