Old 03-07-2007   #1
Emma's Rivers
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Dam releases

Does anyone know of a website(s), to check when dam releases are? Looking for the Colorado, Lower Blue, Gunnison, Arkansas, Delores, etc. Thanks y'all!!

mizzcurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #2
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Haha, the ever enigmatic question. The short answer is no one really knows. Beta comes in from various sources but is usually changed by the release date.

Kara regularly posts the status of Green Mountain releases (Upper Colorado Supplements, Lower Blue) and Ruedi (Fryingpan).

There's an e-mail list for Ruedi updates, PM klamb to get on this.

Delores, again, tentative and subject to change:

Poudre Rock Report:

Check here for additional info:

The Ark is pretty reliable for 600-900 from May 15(?)-August 15. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but this seems to be the standard. During runoff, flows are supplemented by the snowmelt. There was a rumor going 'round a while back that something had passed to increase the flow period to March 15-October 15. This would be awesome but I'm skeptical of it's accuracy.

And of course the Buzz for flows, rumors, heresay, hunches, and prayers to the river gods.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #3
I expect Roberts Tunnel will start flowing in April, which will give us another nice early Bailey/Foxton season.

I think it will start flowing because Dillion Reseroir is pretty high and the snow pack is good. They know they can fill Dillion, so they let out water early.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #4
Loveland, Colorado
Dam releases and stuff

Sorry I didn't see this on Thursday when it got posted. Ya skip a day on the 'Buzz and next thing you know, the whole format's gone and changed!

Count is right--I post info I have on Green Mountain Dam releases to the Lower Blue, Ruedi Dam releases to the lower Fryingpan, Olympus Dam (in Estes Park) releases to the Big Thompson, and, more generally, on the rare occassion that clarification is needed, for example: info on the Arkansas/Pueblo play park that results from our operations at Pueblo Dam.

With that clarification bit in mind, Count said:
There was a rumor going 'round a while back that something had passed to increase the flow period to March 15-October 15. This would be awesome but I'm skeptical of it's accuracy.
It's accurate! That program is called the Voluntary Flow Program and Reclamation is the one that does it, with support from our partners. We started augmenting the Arkansas via this program in 1990. It is a year-round program that came about as a way to find common ground between boating and fishing interests on the Ark while at the same time maintaining agricultural and urban water deliveries.

The basics of the program are:
1. July 1-August 15: Reclamation helps maintain 700 cfs in the Ark between Twin Lakes (Lake Creek confluence) and Pueblo Reservoir--measured at Wellsville. This is the recreational boating contingent.
2. The rest of the year, help protect the riparian areas and the fishery by doing things like not reducing flows more than four inches after fish lay eggs. There is also something, I think, about the caddis fly hatch, but I'd have to look that up.

I really should talk about the Flow Program more, but our partners at the State keep everyone pretty well informed on it, so I haven't had to.

But if you want flow info from me directly, I not only have the e-mail notification list on Ruedi that Count mentioned, I also have them for Green Mountain, the Big Thompson, Horsetooth and Carter Reservoirs, and all issues related to Pueblo Reservoir.

If there is other info y'all would like to know that I can provide as far as Reclamation is concerned, please just let me know.

Kara Lamb
Public Information
Eastern Colorado Office
Bureau of Reclamation
(970) 962-4326
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote