Skiing & Boarding
Want Ads
Industry Jobs
Place an Ad

Old 07-28-2011   #1

On the banks, of Rowlett Creek
Paddling Since: 2004
Dallas Whitewater Park being closed

Before it ever officially opened, they're closing down the new WW park in Dallas. Because of one or two people, the City of Dallas has run and put its tail between its legs. And the press has been complicit in the process. They have only wanted a story about the city wasting tax payers dollars and refuse to interview or show those who are in favor of the WW park. WFAA was going to interview Dave Holl. When Dave told them he was excited about the park and for it, they never contacted him again.

$4 million Trinity River attraction too dangerous to use | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

Seriously, this is a Class II+ feature with portages for those not comfortable with it, concrete steps, and handicap access. It's quite benign and the hysteria and fear mongering is laughable.

Please feel free to berate these people at will.

This is the reporter's email: jbetz@wfaa.com

Charles Allen, who is the a-hole who single-handedly did more to destroy this project, doesn't have email, but his phone # is: 214-941-1757. You might leave him a friendly email message.

Justin Blake is a kayaker I have never met. I've never seen him on a river. I don't know where they find these Class I paddlers and keep calling them experts.

I will have more emails of some of the city officials who've abandoned us later today.

But please, don't hold back. Our voice is small, but it can loud.

David

Old 07-28-2011   #2

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
HA beat me by 3-minutes! I was going to start a thread about all the "Boondoggleness" going on down in Texas. (Remember I am now back in Little Rock) Those rapids are HUGE and KEEPERISH!!!

Gary L. can you call these idiots in Dallas please. Not that I plan on ever paddling in Dallass but you never know when you may be passing through!!

Old 07-28-2011   #3

I read the article and I think you are misrepresenting what it says. I agree that this is bad news for Dallas kayakers. Hopefully they will fix the park. I didn't see any plans to scrap the park in the article. I hope it turns out well for YA'LL.
Old 07-28-2011   #4

Park City/ Buena Vista, Utah/Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
American Whitewater - Dallas: Trinity River Park Standing Wave(s) (PnP), Trinity Texas, US

Looks pretty dangerous...How do they fit in those little boats with there Cowboy Boots on?
Old 07-28-2011   #5

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Isn't this the same state that has a hard-on for riding bulls. Unbelievable.
Old 07-28-2011   #6

Park City/ Buena Vista, Utah/Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Its the same State that keeps Colorado in business as a tourist trap. When they Outlaw kayaking, only the Outlaws will kayak.
Old 07-28-2011   #7

On the banks, of Rowlett Creek
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by soylent green View Post
I read the article and I think you are misrepresenting what it says. I agree that this is bad news for Dallas kayakers. Hopefully they will fix the park. I didn't see any plans to scrap the park in the article. I hope it turns out well for YA'LL.
Yes, it doesn't say it's completely dead, but on the ground here, they have locked it up, put no trespassing signs all over the place, have a watchman at the gate, and cancelled any plans for a grand opening.

The truth is, it's closed. The city council and certain park board members are trying distance themselves from it because they are fearful of more negative publicity. They were excited about it in the spring and wanted their pictures taken with kayakers, but now because one person has called the bypass channels unsafe and the press has pounced on it, they don't want to be a part of it.

I wish they would stand up to them and push back, but they don't have the will to do that. And the press has painted this in such a way, that spending more money to fix it will probably create some public/media backlash.

My hope is that behind the scenes, there are a few people still trying to find a way to get it opened. We'll see.
Old 07-28-2011   #8
gh

Not Sure, Colorado
This is the same state that wont allow gambling yet watches everyone go to Louisiana and Oklahoma every weekend to gamble. The surrounding states love the revenue bump.
Old 07-28-2011   #9

Casper, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1997
Now, this is just me, but isn't kayaking (whitewater) considered in the realm of extreme sports? And isn't one of the criteria of said sports the fact that there is risk involved? I mean come on, just because one kayaker says that the park is unsafe? I question his interpenetration. Unless the designers really screwed the pooch and inadvertently designed the park full of low head dams, this should be no more dangerous than any other stretch of rapids that most of us paddle on a daily basis.
Old 07-28-2011   #10

Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
All the pics in the article are framed to make it look as bad as possible, but looking at the video on the AW site makes it look pretty good, and less of a danger than many of the parks we have here in CO. This issue just adds to list of things I don't like about TX and some Texans.

Tags
ark