Old 07-29-2011   #31
Texas sucks! Now lets move on to something else.

panicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #32
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
The guy kayaker is on the Arkansas buzz defending himself: - View topic - Dallas Whitewater Park Closed

Says he was interviewed for 45min and they took the one bad sounding line.

gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #33
Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: 2005
Piece of my mind: sent

Dear Jonathan,

I felt compelled to write you to let you know what a poor job you did on your article on the Dallas Whitewater park. Reporters working on whitewater stories often have a big knowledge gap about the sport, which is unfortunate but understandable. Your ignorance, however, was willful. You deliberately slanted the story and declined to interview any of the experienced, knowledgable kayakers and whitewater boaters in your community who support the project. One of the few real boaters you did speak to (Justin Blake) feels he was misrepresented--that you cherry picked his interview and took the single negative statement out of a 45-minute interview.

Standing waves can draw tourists, build boating communities, and help build beginning paddlers' skills. Of course you can talk about risks-- certainly whitewater carries some risks, but so does driving your car to work. Instead of educating your community on the risks and rewards of boating, you wrote a sensationalist piece that benefits no one. "City Government Wastes Money Building Death Trap" may be an exciting story, but that doesn't make it a true story.

I suggest you do a follow up on this first poor-quality piece, one where you talk to the experienced, knowledgable people who support this project. But the whitewater community, while small, is tight, and yellow journalism like this hurts us all.

deerfieldswimteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #34
Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Sounds to me like yakgrrl101 moved down to Dallas and tried boating again?
ScubaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #35
I think gandhi and MLK would know what to do here: massive peaceful protest. Get as many people as you can (dozens, hundreds) in as many different types of watercraft as possible to float down the holes. Emphasis on the silly shit: tubes, inflatable animals, those NRS gigbobs, random swimmers, Fibark floats, etc. Give the media a heads up and bring your own cameras. If you watch enough tubers, canoes and floating dispensary's survive the hole no one can think its dangerous.
mbannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #36
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
This is absolutely silly. WFAA needs to fire that reporter. The City of Dallas needs to be sacked, and whomever that woman was, she needs to get back into the pool and learn how to roll or stay the hell away from rivers period. That drop is at best a Class II, with very minimal consequences. My son has paddled it and thought it was too tame, he's 10. It just makes me sick that so many people who worked so hard to make it a reality have been derailed by sloppy reporting (with an agenda apparently) and a couple of individuals who have no business being on the water.
And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #37
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Dallas play park closed just when I was ready to use it.

Unbelievable!!! Texas good ol' boy politics at it again!!!! I'm from Colorado and picked up a temp assignment in El Reno, Ok. Hauled my boat down knowing there is a new play park on the Trinity, but only to learn when I arrived in OK that the park has been closed because of a silly girl and a reporter with a chip on his shoulder. Unsure what the drive length is to the park, but, heck, anything with a couple of play holes would be fantastic. Okay, I have to ask there an alternative run around Dallas, OKC, or even Arkansas areas? I am a little knowledgable about potential runs in norther Arkansas from a lady friend in Fayetteville, but she is not a boater by any stretch of the imagination. So, before I spend a ton of time searching, can any of you Dallas guys give me a few locales to explore? Class IV boater here but haven't been in the boat this year yet due to this new job. Your assistance will be much appreciated. Thanks, and I am up to helping ya'll do something about convincing the council that the run is a safe and not one stupid swallow makes a unsafe park. Don't know who the designer was, but he/she probably had more novices in mind when he/she designed the drops. The designer should be contacting the council and giving them an ear full of advice regarding how he designed it based on different boating skills. Just my two cents.
ch678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #38
dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Boat it and it will be open.
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #39
Jenks, Oklahoma
"I have to ask there an alternative run around Dallas, OKC, or even Arkansas areas?"

The best WW play spot with releases this time of year, I know that meets your request is Rockport at Malvern AR which is close to Hot Springs AR. Check the Arkansas Canoe Club message board to know when it is running.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #40
Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1983
Heck all you have to do is put up some picnic tables and let the local rif raf (non-boaters) come and spend the day grilling fajitas, throwing their trash on the ground, and letting their 2 year olds float down in tubes laughing and screaming. Claim its an economic benefit to the community at large (we all know us kayakers pinch our pennies) and the city council will sit up and take notice....

kayakingphotog is offline   Reply With Quote