Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-27-2006   #1
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Dagger to offer free swiftwater class. August 26th

On Saturday, August 26th I am hosting a free one day Swiftwater Essentials class near Eagle, Colorado (location to be determined with flows). The class will be instructed by nationally recognized swiftwater guru Mike Mather http://www.matherrescue.com/
Although it would be nearly impossible to fully train paddlers everything there is to know in one day, this class is designed to teach the basics. Throw bag use and safety, z-drag fundamentals, how to swim a rapid, dealing with strainers, and other basics about river safety, knowledge, and gear. Many paddlers have very little to no skills when it comes to these things so this is a one day class designed to get you started. My budget limited it to 20 people so here is how it will work. At some point on Monday, August 21st I will place another post here and boatertalk.com The first 20 people that email me at mrcolorado1@hotmail.com will be registered. I would do sign up now but when I offered this class to far in advance last year, many people signed up then had a change of plans. This way it is close to the time and you will know if you can make. In addition I will be firing up the grill and feeding the group burgers and dogs. My belief is that we all benefit on the river when everyone knows basic safety procedures. Paddling with someone that can at least operate a throw bag and help you out is a big bonus. I am currently working with Dagger on offering reduced rate safety classes next year in addition to our already free Paddle with the Pros. Good luck on August 21st and we'll see you on the river, safely.

Dagger Kayaks

Please no emails now as I can not save you a space. It all goes down on the 21st. I just wanted to give you a heads up.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006   #2
Indian Hills, Colorado
A true ambassador to the sport. Keep up the good work! Thanks to Dagger.

DanOrion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006   #3
Healthcare Record Management
I appreciate it. You truely are as Dan Mentioned an ambassador. thanks for giving the non knowledgable a chance to become knowledgable.

My resent MFS trip had a fella who has been managing a river for 10 yrs (the TL) in the NE and never had to use a z drag or perform any sort of rescue on a river in his life. ( I don't get it either) But needless to say I ran 3 z drags and 2 flipped gear rig recovery's with the help of only a few persons on a 20 person trip and your out to stop this from happening again that's down right what I refer to as The Sh$t!!!!

Thanks again and I wish others like you would or could do the same.

If I can be of any help let me know .....
Crazy Mo Fo J is offline   Reply With Quote