Old 06-09-2008   #1
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Dagger Nomad vs LL Jefe

I'm in the market for a new creek boat. Any thoughts on which boat is better? I'm about to move back east so I'll mainly be running class 4/5 pool drop in lower volume water. I weigh 180 lbs so I'm probably in the ideal weight range for either one.

nervouswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #2
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
nomad vs. jefe'

I had a Nomad 8.1 for 2 years and moved over to a Jefe' last year. Great move for me. Jefe' is more stable surfaces, faster, does not back ender, more roomy, more storage space, better outfitting, doesn't leak. Need I say more? Regular runs I do are Vallecito and Baker's Box, Jefe is wayy better in Baker's and I just feel better overall in class V with the Jefe.
my 2 cents

hullflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #3
Professional Transient, See above.

Having used both only a small amount, here is my opinion: Jefe.

The Dagger outfitting is super cheap these past few years, and as a result is both leaky and less comfortable. They use only 2 screws to mount the sides of the seat, and the system they have developed leaks terribly b/c they can't stay tight. In contrast, the Jefe is like sitting in a comfy chair, doesn't leak, and lasts longer.

As far as general characteristics, the Jefe is a boat that loves to spin. Lots of sculling strokes, open faced and closed faced draw strokes, etc. Since it seems to not need as much carving, I find it easier to control very quickly in a pinch.

I also like the Jackson Rocker. Requires more carving than the Jefe, has an amazing secondary stability, autoboof, doesn't backflip you hitting huge waves head on, etc. I like the engineering of the outfitting being so freakin simple (an also doesn't leak- no screw holes through the shell), but apparently the Jefe outfitting will last longer and is definitely more comfortable. The Jackson uses the nicer plastic (bi-lateral matrix or whatnot). The downside to the Jackson plastic is if one puts a hole in the boat it is not patchable (via blowtorch). Lighter boat.

st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #4
pnw, Washington
If you are carrying gear which of course you should. pin kit, etc. with a weight of 180, you owe it to yourself to at least try out the grande before deciding.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #5
jefe grande

Yeah def try the Grande. It's bigger but doesn't paddle all that much bigger. It makes moves easier and keeps you up out of the water a little better. It's also a bit faster. Get the Jefe or Grande and you'll be super happy.

That said... I can't really say anything bad about the nomad except they leak. Both paddle good.
ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #6
Denver, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
I've had a nomad for the past couple of years. Though leaky, I love the design. It does exactly what I want it to do, boofing, speed, turns, etc. Can't say much about the Jefe either way.
craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #7
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington

Myself and two others I know are in love with our Grande's!! Go with the bigger boat. It definitely doesn't feel like your paddling that big of a boat. I didn't care all that much for the old Jefe but I frickin love this thing. And ya the outfitting is the best I've ever sat in, IMO.
Your opinion doesn't matter when you're already biased.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #8
Eagle, Colorado
How much do you way flowtorch? I fluctuate between 170-180 without gear and I'm worried the grande might be a little too big for me.
nervouswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #9
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996

Just go one and I like it. I'm 6-1, 175 and I definitely think that the Jefe is big enough. Floats me really high. I definitely don't think that I need any more volume at my size.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #10
Denver, Colorado
I have paddled both boats and I think that I am making the move to the Nomad. I really like the Jefe design but the plastic is stiff and loves to crack. I think that Nomad plastic is much better though it is leaky. The Nomad 8.5 is an awesome boat for sure, but the Jefe is definitely a classic great design.

bwest is offline   Reply With Quote