Old 11-26-2009   #1
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Dagger Kingpin Icon outfitting questions

I picked up my first kayak today, a Dagger Kingpin Icon. It was sold as new, but is missing some things. The place I purchased the boat has been out of the kayak business for some time, but had this one boat remaining and didn't have anyone knowledgeable about it. I'm looking for some input on what exactly it should have so I can request it from the retailer.

It is missing the fins, which isn't a huge deal to me, but what I'm more concerned about is the bulkhead and possibly the center pillar.

They gave me a metal frame with an adjustable plastic crossbar for resting your feet. There's no foam, and there is no hardware for mounting this frame. There are bolts in the boat which look like they are intended to be used to mount the bar. Does it just bolt on, or is something else missing here? Is it supposed to have foam to fit over the bar, or foot blocks, or was this crossbar the only foot rest included?

For the center pillar, there's a hard plastic pillar but again no foam pillar. In looking at other (new) model kayaks, all seem to have foam center pillars.

As this model is several years old, I'm having trouble finding solid info on what should or should not be there, so anyone who could provide insight would be very much appreciated.

j_gets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009   #2
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
The bulkhead needs what are called polyknobs. You can simply put a nut and washer and mount the bulkhead permanetaly but with the knobs you can adjust on the fly more easily. For foot foam you can use any mini cell block that can be cut to fit. I would just get a big block of foam and forget the metal/plastic bulkhead. lighter and sure footed as well. As for the center beam try calling or emailing Confluence in Easley. You could make one but they should have the template to make you one. The plastic beam is the dog bone and does offer good support. As for the fins, they may have them as well but you can get a basic wakeboard fin and mount it to the black plastic piece you see on the hull.
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote