Old 06-06-2007   #1
Golden, Colorado
Dagger CFS Outfitting?

I'm looking to see if anyone has some of the later outfitting for a Dagger CFS. I understand the boat was made from '01 to '03 and the '03 had a better seat system.

Long shot - but worth a try. Anyone break a late model CFS recently?

druryjay at gmail dot com

"It boats really easy - it's too shallow to flip"

-El Flaco describing OBJ
jaydrury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007   #2
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
The Fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I dont know where your problems are but if it has to do with the back band which sucked in all Daggers early on try to reto fit a new back band. I had good success with the Hard plastic IR bands. Also the hip pads sucked too so I took two 4inch thick by 6 inch wide by 8 in long pieces of foam and carved some sick hip pads. They work better then any hip pads I have ever tried. Lastly I dont know if it is the position of the seat or what buy my heels hit the floor weird so I put some foar up where my heels sit and that helps a ton. It is not a brand new boat with all the fancy comfortable outfitting, but it is amazing compared to how the CFS used to feel. I really like my CFS for Colorado and i dont really have the money to buy a new boat so it had to be done. Hope that helps.

P the K

Paul the Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004

Hope you enjoy the boat.

As for the seat, having a moveable seet is kinda moot in the CFS because it's such a tub (as you mentioned) that trim is rarely ever an issue, even with the biggest paddlers (me at 220). I have friends with CFSs that plop down NRS foam seats on top to give them more lift, but this almost always effects how the backband sits. I never found it necessary, either, though I know it can be helpful for rolls, etc...I guess I'm the rare breed that likes being low in the boat.

I also have a friend with the Jackson Happy Seat system in his CFS and he swears by it. Usually I would just crank the bulkhead back as far as possible and cram myself in there...never had a problem with anything. The new backband in there, while not top of the line, is pretty dern good compared to the original Bomber Gear one that I broke. Even without drilling for the elastic lifters it stayed pretty well on my back all the time.

The one thing I wish it had was a ratcheting backband system. My procedure was always get in and pull myself as far forward in the boat with one hand on the combing and with the other reach around and pull the cam strap tight on the backband. Not too much of a pain in the ass, but when you're putting in micro eddies in deep gorges with sheer cliffs of crumbly to hold onto, it can be trying, to say the least, attempting to stay out of the current. There might be away, with enough creativity, to bolt on a ratchet system for a solid IR Reggie backband or other.

climbhoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007   #4
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I paddle and old CFS with the stock Bomber Gear backband. The stock setup didn't let you really get good lumbar support out of the backband, so to get a good fit, I duct taped 1.5-2" thick minicell on the backband. I've got it cranked tight and it is a little difficult to get in, but the two times I've swam out of it, it certainly was not a problem. Adding the foam definitely increased the response and feel of the boat.

The CFS partial-rail design (with a hard chine just under your seat) is an OUTSTANDING feature and IMNSHO should be on most creek boats out there. You don't need the full edge of an H3 for creeking (whether they "raise" it or not) and boats with displacement hulls paddle (esp. ferry) differently from playboats, but the partial-rail design gets the best of both worlds - handles more like a playboat but has very little edge to trip you up in the mank or funny water. My next boat will probably be a Nomad because it comes closest to replicating this feature (and has good outfitting and a lot more speed, which is nice for CO).

Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote