Old 07-11-2006   #1
Customer Service at "Aire" Rocks!

I recently purchased a used Puma Aire from "Sierra South" out in CA and during the conversations I had with them they told me they have a 1 year warranty on used items, barring any abuse from the new owner, (me).
Three months and 3 trips after I bought the boat it blew a bladder while resting on top of my roof racks at the #'s put in 2 weeks ago, the first day of the 4 day 4th of July weekend I might add.
The bladder did not blow because it was overinflated, actually it was early in the AM and it was no where near capacity. Evidently it either had some sand rubbing against it ,(inbetween the bladder and the outer wall) or it was creased in the spot where it blew and was worn or stretched as a result, whatever the cause, it blew a softball sized hole in it and it was discolored and stretched as though it had been festering for quite some time.
I could not get it fixed down in BV so it ruined my plans to paddle that weekend, but I called Aire first thing on Weds of last week and spoke to several wonderful people there about my situation the main guy was named "Chris". He told me to call Sierra South and to see if they would back up there word, but if not, even though my boat is about 15 years old and is about 5 years over there amazing 10 year warranty, and the fact that I am not the original owner, he has promised me thay would help me out.
So I called Sierra South and explained my situation and reminded them that in fact I had only owned the boat for 3 months and that I had only paddled it 3 times and that the "blow out" was not due to any abuse on my behalf, but they denied ever telling me there was any type of warranty implied.
I went on to explain that "Aire" had asked me to call them first but that if they weren't going to back up there word, that Aire would help me out with some kind of discount, or perhaps even a brand new bladder. The customer service rep said "well Aire has there policies and we have ours". I politely explained to her someone at Sierra South definitely told me there was a one year warranty, but even if someone had told me some false information, they should at least compensate me some how as I bought it through there store 3 short months ago and I only paddled it 3 times, and that Aire was going to back up a warranty even though it had expired and even though there warranty typically only covers the original owner and I was obviously the second owner. She simply reiterated the fact that they weren't going to help me in anyway. I politely told her I was going to post this on Mountain Buzz and I thanked her for her lack of service and hung up.
In todays age of corporate BS and lack of personal interactions and compassion, Aire stands head and antlers above the rest in my book, and I will definitly be buying my next boat from these guys.

You Rock!

vayo con dios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006   #2
so what did Aire end up actually finally doing for you?

Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006   #3
Aire Stood up big time...

Aire just emailed me today and they are offering me the bladder at wholesale cost, which is actually more then I would have expected from them, since my warranty has been up for over 5 years!

Thanks again Aire!
vayo con dios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006   #4
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Thanks for letting us know.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006   #5
salida, Colorado
I had a similar experience with a company called Proline Products. I oredered a roof rack from them and I specificaly asked them if it would fit my make/model of my truck Nissan Frontier etc...and over my topper.. They said it would I paid for the shipping as well. Well when I received my rack it didnot fit I called and they said they never told me that and I had to pay for the return shipping as well, in total $151 dollars. Bastards.
psu96 is offline   Reply With Quote