Old 07-04-2008   #11
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
yeah I dont think we'll be up to doing the rallying down with my buddy and we both IK it up. we're both solid boaters but i think that is too big of a step up for us at this point. lookin more at the ridgewaves -> reservoir section and the reservoir -> billy creek section....

what about the ouray run, is the footbridge in the ouray park passable at this level? would a box canyon -> QQ put in run be worth the drive, coupled with a run on one of the others downstream?

"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008   #12
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
No boating below Ridgway Resevoir dam at Ridgway State Park

FYI Folks,

Mt. Buzz got the message below from the Park Manager at Ridgway State Park.

__________________________________________________ _______

I am the Park Manager at Ridgway State Park and have had two unhappy folks this week who arrived believing they can launch a raft or kayak below the dam at Ridgway Resevoir (On the Uncompahgre). Unfortunately when that site was opened in 1995 it included a Regulation that no boats are to be operated on any waters on Ridgway State Park below the dam. The unhappy visitors cited as their source and when I did a quick search it does have entries which include launching below the dam. While it is not possible to raft below the dam, it is legal and encouraged to raft into the reservoir from the Town of Ridgway so we hope to see folks from coming from that direction. Please contact me if I can provide any information.

Thank you,

Kirstin Copeland

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008   #13
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
That is a total load of bull, and I dont like it at all. Pudlic paddlers, being denied access to a PUBLIC FACILITY that was built with our tax dollars and lottery tickets. So why can any joe schmo who doesn't appreciate it get to go in and trash the place, but eco-sensitive boaters are told to "wait outside"? Shady.

I emailed "Kristin" a few minutes ago asking for documentation and some exact reasoning, with examples, on why it is closed.

A few minutes after that I sent a similar email to Nathan Fey, Colorado's resident AW rep and asked him his thoughts on the situation.

I intend to get some answers on this one.....
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008   #14
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
don't worry about it-just put in off the highway a mile or so down, or go for it out of the state park stealthily--it's not like they could ticket you or anything. stupid rule. ask Nathan where the rafters put in. here is what i sent:
It IS possible to raft/kayak below the damn. People will continue to exercise this right. If it turns into a problem, we will fight for our legal state right to float the river, and your policy will end up being revised. Not being confrontational, but a lot of us have dealt with these type of issues for many years and know our rights re floating waterways through public or private property.

steven is offline   Reply With Quote