Old 08-10-2005   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Crystal Gorge

Just wondering if there was any more info on any wood in the lower gorge. Also curious if anyone knows about the levels on Yule or the South Fork of the Crystal. Heading up there this weekend, if anyone's interested.
303 885-2787

CGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005   #2
Hoping to get in the Crystal Gorge on Saturday. Ran the upper and inner gorge last week. The inner has one portage due to wood, immediately above the long rapid called Paddle Snapper or something like that. The first notable drop below Zute. Lower down there is a massive tree (3 feet diameter guessing) that is parallel to the current. Lots of rolls around it, but it isn't causing too much serious carnage. Clean lines have been made going over it on river right, but left is easier to get to and it isn't as bad if you mess up. Left has seen the most clean lines. You can portage it, but it's much easier to run it. At 330 last week the last two holes were very very sticky. It would be ideal to have someone that portages the inner set safety at the end.

We scouted all of the inner last week before we went in, and I highly recommend it. It shows the first portage fairly well, and we hiked down to the takeout to check out the last holes. If you didn't know what to expect at that level I think a swim would be probable. The only thing you can't see from the rim scout is the large log parallel to the current, but it is easily scoutable from inside the gorge.

Don't underestimate Zute Chute. Things went wrong on my line and I took a substantial head shot. Had a dizzy rest of the day.

The land owner has been around Yule. I would make sure he is gone on Saturday before I dropped in.

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Thanks for the info. Our plan is to run Crystal Gorge on Saturday. We'll be up there Friday night, and are planning for a mi-morning start. I did the lower a few years ago, and haven't been back in since, and can't remember all the lines, so it would be great to meet up if possible.
CGM is offline   Reply With Quote