Old 05-17-2011   #1
Crystal Beta

Looking for some info on the Crystal. Want to run Bogan Canyon/Flats in a 13' cataraft.
Does anyone know the location of the two culverts (Mile Marker?) and are these portageable with cats?
(Not sure portageable is a word?)

Anyone know the wood situation Marble to Redstone?

Also looking at Narrows to BRB. Are there any access points below BRB CG?

Rich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011   #2
I'm right 50% of the time
Paddling Since: 1977
The 2 culverts are easily scouted from the road on the way to Marble. The eddy for the upper culvert is marked with a dead log stuck vertical in some rocks. The eddy is small but doable even at high water. It is a single raft eddy. The lower eddy is giant, but is also just above the culvert. Make sure you know where it is from river level. Both portages can be done easily with 3 to 4 people. We ran my super puma and a 14 foot NRS down 2 years ago. No problems. I have no idea about the wood situation in Bogan. Scout what you can from the road and be prepared to exit quickly when going around blind corners. There is lots of wood and it does move around.

Avy to BRB is all road side so scout on the way up. I have pulled out at Thomas Rd ( aprox 3 mi up 133 from Main Street Carbondale). Leave your car up on the highway. You may be able to pull out at the CODOW Fish Hatchery, but you may want to look at access there. Other options include Stairway Park ( you may have to take apart the raft to bring it up to the road) or the bridge by CRMS.

The water is still very low for either run. When it hits 800 it is good to go. Do not bother at all if below 500.

PM me if you want a lead boat or more beta.

brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011   #3
Thanks for the beta. I'll send you a message when I am headed that way.
Also looking at the Roaring Fork, while I am in the neighborhood.

I've done Slaughterhouse to Basalt and have bike scouted the section thru Aspen and think it is runnable above 800cfs. Would like to put in at the park just east of downtown on the bike trail and continue thru Slaughterhouse.
Rich is online now   Reply With Quote