Old 04-18-2005   #1
Cross Mtn. jitters

Did anyone make it to Cross Mt. over the weekend? It's running abround 3500 right now, about 1000 cfs higher than when I committed last week.

Is it still a "bring the playboat" run at this level?

Never boated it, but I'm a competent class V boater. I just haven't been out yet this season, nor did I get out much last season (new baby).

Am I gonna get my ass kicked?

sgbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #2
still a play run

I hit cross on sat. it was running around 2300 and when I checked this morning it was only up to 2900. We were all find in our playboats and if you like larger class IV in a playboat you will love it. I know of people running it in playboats up to 6000 so it depends on what you see and feel comfortable with, cross is great because you can scout and/or portage with relative ease. Let me know when you are thinking about hitting it I may be interested.

panaboater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #3
Thanks for the info. The "scout and/or portage with relative ease" part is reassuring. I'm actually heading out this afternoon from Boulder at about 4:00, meeting an old friend there who's coming in from Vernal, UT. We're planning to camp at the takeout and put on sometime between 9 and 10. Maybe we'll see you there?

sgbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #4
It's a blast!!!

We did it Saturday (kind of hard to go off the gauges but guessing it was around 2,650) and it was FUN!! Get's pushy in a playboat but that's the allure. If you haven't run it before you might want to scout Osterizer (located as the gorge squeezes in; big blood red rock walls on your right hand side) and definately scout Snake Pit (next big rapid you come upon). Snake Pit is very straight forward but you need to have a good idea of where to be/line up. The rest is IV/IV+ until the take out. Pour-Over City can catch you off guard (Big left hand bend about half a mile below Snake Pit) so stay on your toes. I ran it 2 years ago at 7,000 and it was BIG. Had the creek boat that day and it was rock n' roll. Up to 4,000 should be playboat stuff if you are a Class V boater. Enjoy a "Big Water" Colorado run and take time to enjoy the scenery!!!

Have fun, be safe!!!

bhodizypha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #5
Be carefull.. I heard a rumor about a sive at the bottom of pourover city, but I think it's a playboat run for the stronger paddler.

johnny portage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #6
there are many sives in many places...

I would recommend staying in your boat.
panaboater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #7
Master of Chaos
The sieve is there. It's on river left, after the 100 yard run below Pourover. Basically, the next small rapid after Pourover.

Pourover is probably the most dangerous rapid in the entire canyon due to the undercut rocks throughout the rapid, center below the pourover, the big tree rock, and that sieve. Our raft trips have the most difficulty here as we flip on the tree rock and that sieve has all of us thinking river right and swimming right if in the water.

Oh the fun!
kentv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #8
Steamboat Springs, CO
Paddling Since: 1995
The death ferry isnt neccesary at higher flows, you can actually eddy out rite above the flume on snake pit.

Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote