Old 05-26-2011   #11
Originally Posted by jhhssmurf View Post
That's awesome. Not relative to my post though.... DOES ANYONE IN THIS STATE KAYAK OUTSIDE OF PLAYPARKS?

Only relative in that you inflated the flow by 60% or so....

Rich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #12
Mad Scientist/Creeker
The inflation is prob my fault. I looked at the AW gauge without even looking which gauge it was reporting.

I'd like to say I was in but sheesh, the highest flow I've been paddling for over 8 months has been the 388 cfs in the poudre narrows. Not exactly training for big water.

Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #13
Gotta love colorado... point of the post was that noone wants to go run it. But I found some southeast kids that were game.... wait what was the flow? Oh yah, high and good.... keep bickering im goin boston... u know I love all of u right?
jhhssmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #14
steamboat, Colorado
Who is claiming 21k? Highest I know of is 18k by a local crew probably 15 years ago. Would be nice to know the highest descent. Anybody?
latenightjoneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #15
Cross @ 20K

I did a Westwater trip about 8-10 years ago with some of the older guard of WW around here. Now before anyone alleges that that's the ol' pot calling the kettle black, recall I was young once. Anyhow, they were celebrating a buddies 50th and they invited myself, my wife, and another friend along to cook up (as I recall it) some of the best damn meals ever eaten on a river, ever. On the night of the birthday bash, between moonlit Little D rides, they busted out an old tape recording that commemorated this individuals life accomplishments. On that tape was an ABC wide world of sports audio recording about a failed attempts by a European kayaker to drop into Cross Mtn at 20K. Something about an epic fail. What I recall vividly, was how they told the story of how the birthday boy had then dropped into Cross the next day, at slightly higher flows, and made Euro boy look bad by styling that thing.
I'm pretty sure he's still living in Boulder along with the others from that WW trip. Great crew and many of us use a silly little piece of electronic equipment in the winter months that they designed and manufacture. One of the mot memorable river trips of my life with those guys.

But I digress....who's dropping into Cross at 20K? Not me, I'll be on the deck sipping a cold one in my rocking chair.
twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #16
What do you want on your tombstone?

If you don't die in Cross Mountain Gorge, you may during the next risk you take.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #17
dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Lol...sit on the couch then...some people can free-solo the nose. I can't and it would be dumb for me to try, but I sure ain't gonna say they're stupid for doing it. Those people are freaking awesome. We all die in the end matter how safe you try to be. There's a lot of people out there who just have skills. Smurf, after you run it come tell us all how it went
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #18
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Austin you know I'm game.. Gary pick my ass up let's hit big t and head south for mulkey mission. Than fremont for little training.. cross isn't to much further from there. And I think deer us about that level we all ran it.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #19
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
might be in bozeman this weekend. i'm in for big t if i am Mike. Don't worry about smurf folks, he is a stikine vet and a bad ass, he will be fine in there.
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #20
buena vista, Colorado
Posts: 17 aint the yough... but ronnie t ,etc....ran it at that level in 95..give him or shane a call!!! hope all is well for ya, hope to see ya in bv soon!!

riverlivin13 is offline   Reply With Quote