Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-07-2005   #1
Cross Creek Beta (Revealing the Goods - Part II)

The Cross Creek season is here again! The flows are finally coming into range and I don't know if many people know the details on this little gem so here it is.

The Standard section starts 3/4 miles in from the Cross Creek trailhead on Tigawon road south of Minturn. This section is ~ 1/2 mile long and you end up hiking the trail back about a 1/4 mile. Even though this section is short there are plenty drops back-to-back (in order: Snap, small boof, misc slide, Electric Slide, 90 degree Falls, and a triple drop into the Sideways Move). After the Sideways Move, there is some class II-III and there is river-wide wood marking the end of the Standard section. There is no new wood as of 6/29/05 in this section and there are no portages required.

I have posted some pics in the Gallery (unfortunately some of the best ones I have are not my property so I can't post them). Also here is the link for the guage:

(for reference we have ran Cross at an average flow of 160, 150, 140, and 120, most of the pics are at 160)

We started paddling the Standard section in 03' and have hit it every year since. We have also paddled from 3 or so miles up the trailhead down to the school (Maloit Park). There isn't much wood above the bridge (1 mile in) if you want to check out that section and the clam shell drops are about 2 miles in. There are also some huge unrunnable drops due to wood. Below the Standard wood becomes an issue, especially with last years high winds which knocked down a ton of trees. It's hard to recommend paddling to the school at Maloit Park now but if you do, you will get some serious drops (if you want them) and a slide right above the last Class V drop named Shuttle Bitch (about 1 mile up from the school). As of now, I would recommend only the standard section and above. If you don't mind tons of scouting and portaging (due to wood and some VI) check it out.

Many have hiked this creek but very few have paddled it so far (I only know of six for sure). In my view it's the next Big South! Just kidding, we don't need to start that one again It is definitely one of my favorites and get's the blood flowin' every time. I suspect it will be too low by next week so get on it now while it's in.

Anyway, there you have it. If you have any questions, let me know. Otherwise the beta is out.....now Get R' Done

Chad Dyson

Chad D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005   #2
yo, those pics are sick! i can't wait to check that shit out. if you could post your others that would be awesome. how long do you think this will run for?

slee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005   #3
I am still trying to get a handle on how fast the water level drops, but it might be too low by the middle of next week. Cold weather can drop it quickly as well.
Old 07-07-2005   #4
more pics

I just posted some non-boating pics from last weeks scout on 6/29 in the gallery as well. This shows the gradient better and with these pics you pretty much have seen all of the standard section. At this flow it's stompin' and would probably put you into the wood or the wrong place.

Some of us should be up there on Sunday mid-day if you don't get a chance before that.

Gar, do you have enough shoulder left? Give me a hollar if you can make it as well.

Old 07-08-2005   #5
thanks man, those picks look so good. I would love to try to make it up there on sunday. Gary has no chance of doing something like this. he actually told me that he is going to stick to play boating until his shoulder gets better. does not sound like gary, but thats what he said.
Old 07-09-2005   #6
Ski Patrol
Anyone planning to paddle that monday eve?
I would love to hit it up!

Mike Hagadorn
A wise man once said "You Play You Pay"
DeLiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005   #7
Chad, I'm going to try to rally some troops to come up tomarrow. JJ is in town and I mentioned it to him and Andy. Andy got stung by a bee in his face and his whole head is swollen so he may not be in. JJ said he is haveing minor shoulder problems along with the rest of the state. So if we can motivate we will be up there.
Old 07-09-2005   #8
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
I will see you there. what time do you want to meet at Tigiwan? I get off at 9:30a.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote