Old 06-22-2006   #1
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Crested Butte kayak/dirtbiking anyone?

I'm going down Saturday morning and coming back Sunday night. I've got boating partners, but looking to see if anyone is taking their dirtbikes, too.

If you're interested, email me at the following address, but take out the "1's".

Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006   #2
Dirtbikes are for losers that have stickers on their care like "Tap Out" and "No Fear." They just make a ton of noise, eat up trails and piss off mountain bikers.

greenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006   #3
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy
wow.... what a sweet reply. So kind.

CB sounds like fun, I love that place. Enjoy your trip.
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006   #4
Indian Hills, Colorado
Mountain bikes are for pussies who have shaved legs, names like Sergio and drink Zima. They just tear up trails, run over pikas and piss off hikers.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006   #5
Hey are a super pud. When was the last time you got some tang that wasn't from your mom?
greenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006   #6
Golden, Colorado
In these days of increased regulation, I think it's important to support other outdoor rec groups rather than tear into each other.

I can't bolt in the wilderness, even if it's a rap station.
I can't mountain bike in the wilderness because it's mechanized
I can't kayak the upper-upper Chatooga or the BC of the Yellowstone, because???
I can't get an easement for access because the landowner got pissed when the last user to pass through was rude.
If I cut out a strainer with my chainsaw someone will get pissed about that, too.

I joined AW, I joined the Access Fund, and my dirtbike still has the noise baffel in it. The only thing left for me to do is pick up after myself and others (tape wads at climbing areas, boat parts in the river, bike parts on the trail) and hope for the best. I still imagine sometimes the kind of lobby power we'd have if we all combined forces.
Old 06-22-2006   #7
Indian Hills, Colorado
Last night from your mom! ba-dum-bum.
Oh shit! Someone brought the momma disses.

Yo momma's so fat..yo momma yo momma
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006   #8
The next zone, .
And we are all in this world to make sure the Mtn Bikers are happy!

Greeny - Isn't there a rainbow gatherin that should be takin up most of your time right about now?

Just one quick question - how do you mtn bikers pay $2500 for a bike that doesn't even come with a motor?
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006   #9
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
and the trails came from where?

Greeny, most dirt bikers also mtn bike. Just like not all kayakers are knot-heads (though this forum tends to reveal stories of how many there is getting to be), not all dirt bikers are either. What is astonishing is a mtn biker once said to me "We mtn bikers found this trail and we don't want you dirt bikers on it." Really, you found it? How do you think those trails got established? It is because of dirt bikers that thousands of miles of quality single track trails were laid decades before mtn bikes achieved capability of accessing the mountains. (Actually, foot and horse traffic often preset nearly invisible and uncleared routes that later developed into the trail systems that even hikers are glad that motorcycles have traveled enough to wear a soft path.) Organized motorcycle clubs and local, regional, and national racing events have long been the stewards of these trail and still work closely with the Forest Services and Lobbying groups to maintain their quality and access to them for everyone's use. As far as noise, well ... I for one tend to coast by bikers when encountered and am away in an instant. Actually, most of the time it is amazing how I am able to surprise bikers, hikers, elk, and bear as the trees, ridges, and wind disapates what little noise good cycles and riders make. I once crested a ridge and zoomed through a small herd of bedded elk, only to stop a little further away and walk back to view them still bedded down. I greatly enjoy mountain biking, but dirt biking allows me to see and enjoy a whole lot of beautiful country in a day and provides tremendous exercise. I have enjoyed navigating Colorado's mountain trails since 1976, and I have no problem sharing the trails with fellow mountain bikers. On behalf of myself and the thousands of riders that laid down and oftern manicure and maintain the trails for all of us that ride them, "You're welcome!" Happy riding.
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006   #10
Golden, Colorado
We had a SWEET trip.

O-B boofs for breakfast, then took the XR for jaunt up and over Schofield Pass for the afternoon. Checked out the punch bowls. Ho chi. . .looks like on that second one you SURE want to be far right. I could run that first one all day long if there was a "replay" button! Levels looked optimal. No avalanche debris problems in the two big drops if anyone was wondering. The pinch above the lead in to the first punch bowl had some wood complicating it, but I think you could probably either boat around it, or better yet, put in below the wood if someone held your boat.

There's some cool waterfalls you pass on your way down to the punch bowls. It's way (2 miles?) above all that manky stuff just above the punch bowls, much closer to the actual pass. Probably 10-15 footers, just two in a row. Didn't look at the upper one, but the bottom one looks clean at a glance. That would be fun to do if you were camping in the area anyway and it's way before the road starts getting bad down on the Crystal side.

Anyhow, thought I'd check back in after all the drama. If any of you guys want to head out sometime later this summer to scout creeks or ride some new trails, just PM me 'cause I'm down.