Old 07-24-2009   #1
boof splash
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
creeking safety

I was recently asked to write an article about essential safety gear for creeking. I tried to hit on all the necessities to have a safe day on the water. Let me know if you carry anything in your boat that I forgot to mention. Check out the article here.

kuuskv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #2
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Your article touches on importance of rescue training and further practicing these skills. Think it could be useful to reiterate this with the equipment. If you have the equipment you should know how to use it, and should have practiced with it. Personal observation on people with the gear and don't know how to use it. My other thought is no need for non-locking beaners. Have seen people inadvertently get hooked pfd to raft with non-locking beaners, I make it a point to never use these on the river. Everything get locked before I get on the river. (only exception the beaner on rescue pfd leash, which can be released). Just to be constructive, thought your article was good, Cheers.

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #3
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I would include some energy (food) and some warm clothing.

Also, have you tried to actually start a fire with those shitty coleman water proof matches? I tried the other day and I couldn't get them to lite...
Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #4
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
...hence know your equipment, practice with it...
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #5
boof splash
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
good suggestions, keep them coming. cross post from boatertalk: handsaw for cutting strainers and a pair of work gloves for ropework. no one likes rope burns.

do you guys carry anything else?
kuuskv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #6
Edge o' the Dust Bowl, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1982
Good thought on gloves. Never have heard that. Second the idea of food. Resident expert says simple sugars (e.g., Snickers bar) is better than a Clif/Powerbar when you need quick energy, and is one of the best ways to deal with onset of hypothermia.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #7
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Regarding saws:

I've found these plastic pipe cutters can make very short work of a variety of materials, including paddle shafts & boat hulls. If you had to cut into a boat to free someone's pinned legs, it would take about a minute with this thing. They weight a couple of ounces and cost about $5 at Home Depot:

I also carry a SAM Splint. Versatile and lightweight - can be used on wrists, ankles, and even as a neck brace is a pinch (if you can't back board the patient):

Nice bit of SEO, by the way...
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #8
Petzl Mini Traxion. If your not familiar its a pully with a built in locking device. can be an awesome second pair of hands in a pin situation. I also always carry a Qucik Air. In shallow pin situations it can save a life, buying you a few extra minutes to get the lines set up. I've read about two separate instances that atributed it to saving someone.
G-RIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #9
Boulder, Colorado
Do a web search on "Sabre Cut Saw" -- Next best thing to having a chain saw. I can easily cut through a large log. It's basically a length of a chain saw chain with webbing loops at each end (you can slip your hands into them) and the cutting teeth set up to cut in both pull directions. It's small enough to fit in a pin kit bag or even a pocket on a PFD. Could also be used to slice up a boat if needed.

A couple of Wild Country Ropeman Ascenders -- very small rope camming devices that can be used in place of prussic loops. They can be used to quickly lock off a rope while belaying, etc. Are probably faster to setup then a prussic loop. About the only real concern might be "crushing" the rope if there is enough tension on the system.

Some webbing, lockers, and pulleys.
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #10
SLC, Utah
I think that all of the suggestions are great, but I also think that knowing how to use things around you all the time can come in handy and you can forget about adding gear, which can get in the way when you need to get to work and not think about what is in your bag of tricks. A few ideas that I have see used are a Jackson happy seat instead of the sam splint, worked great. I guess my point is having gear and knowing how to use it is great but no situation is ideal and a little ingenuity can come in handy.

pachuco is offline   Reply With Quote