Old 04-26-2006   #1
Creeking during FiBark?

Hey all you crazy Colorado creeker types
I'm a seventeen year old class V paddler from NC and I'm going to be out at FiBark in June. I was hoping to do some creeking while I'm out there, but I have no idea what runs are available within say, an hour of Salida. I'm going to be racing in the Wildwater events in FiBark, and I don't really want to wear myself out creeking, so something steep that I can lap and isn't a terribly committing gorge that can turn into a whole day would be perfect. I was mainly looking at OBJ if that gives you an idea of what I'm looking for.
Are there any other runs similar to that in the area? I'd also appreciate someone showing me down so there is some local experience on the trip.
Also, what is the snowpack in the area doing? How much should there be that time in June and what are the predicted water levels?
Thanks in advance,
Chan Jones

nc_creeker89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #2
Every thing should be running then ,good snowpack this year.The only creeks right around the Ark,are Clear Creek V-/ V and Lake Fork tough class V. You can get from Salida to obj area in about hour and a half.

cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #3
Thanks man. I'll look into those. They definitely sound good.
Old 04-26-2006   #4
Slight correction, Lake Creek, not the Lake Fork, which is on the west side of Gunnison.

Plenty of runs in the area, so plan on having a few extra days around the event.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #5
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Yo Chan,

Are you parents letting you run the big stuff yet? have you ran the Green yet? Big 3? I know you have the skills but, I hear the parents regulate on that ass. Have they stopped?

GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #6
What momma doesn't know doesn't hurt her. I believe it was uttered by coach klein in the water boy. It was always parents are on a need to know basis for me, and sometimes they dont need to know. "Sure im going playboating it is going to take 14 hrs, its lots of fun." HAHA
Dombey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #7
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Yeh, luckly once I could drive my parents didn't really care.. They "trusted me". I'm not one to run dumb shit unless I think I can make it 9:10 times.

GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #8
In this bullshit three-ring circus sideshow of freaks, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1986
Send a message via AIM to kayakArkansas

I'll be out there around the same time and if I'm not too tied up with work I could definitely take you down some of the creeks close to Salida. I have never made the drive from Salida over to The Butte in less than 2 hours but then again, most of the time I am being pokey....Give me a shout if you need someone to boat with and have a great time...

kayakArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #9
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
what about NFSF Ark...?
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #10
Haha, yeah.. still haven't made over to the Green yet. It's funny that I haven't been there yet, because CW and several other legends have invited me and talked with my parents, but no dice. I've been racing a lot this winter and the time I've put into it has really been paying off, so I'm not terribly bummed. I'm pretty sure I'm going this summer though. Still planning on firing up the big three in my first few runs. Using the playboating aliby to go creeking instead would probably work, except I don't own a playboat anymore. Sold it to spend more time in the creek boat when there is rain, and so I've been spending quite a bit of my non-racing time creeking easier, IV-V stuff since my buddies that I paddled alot with in the past pretty much peak out there. I'm really wanting to step it up though, and CO has some nice stuff.

But hey, I'm in the last year till I can run what I want and when I want, so that's a real good thing. Gragtmans and I are going to start training for the Green race next summer after Junior Worlds when I have time again, so look out! No promises yet, but if I nut up and race long boats like I'm used to, something surprising could happen.

Zach and Scott, I'd love to get together and paddle while I'm out there if we can work it out. Thing is, my family is going out to let me and my brother race at Wildwater Nationals and to let my brother have a shot at the Western Junior Team since he barely missed the cut here in the East. When I make a few runs on the course, I'm going to put my race boat up and not wear myself out too much till the race, so that spells creeking and chilling while everyone else is wearing themselves out.

Thanks everyone