Old 06-20-2008   #1
Denver, Colorado
creekin shoes

OK, I know that this post has already been created but I think it could use some new input since designs are always evolving. Im looking for a sweet creeking shoe that I can wear alone or over dry suit booties that can stand some wear and wont get sucked off my feet in the event of a swim. LEts hear it, what do you guys wear and how do you like em?

bwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #2
Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
I just got a pair of 5.10 Canyoneers (the new ones), and they are the tits. Nice and grippy, good ankle support, and a solid connection to the foot. They are a bit bulky, which I have heard causes problems for people with big feet in boats with smallish bows.

I've also heard good reports about the Keen Payette booties. These are less of a shoe than the Canyoneers, but appear to have good grip and support with lots of adjustment options. Whatever you do, DO NOT get the Keen Hood River booties unless you like busting your ass every five steps.

phlyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Keen Payette booties the shiznit.

Keen Payette booties are the shiznit. Super adjustable, decent traction, super cumfy, and very low profile. I highly recommend them.
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #4
I'll 3rd that on the Keen Payettes - they're everything you need in an all around river and creeking bootie. Plus they're made by a great company. I also have the Hood River's and actually liked them allot - though I think the Payettes have better traction and are more streamlined.

Check out the Payettes here: Keen Payette Bootie
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #5
Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I'll 4th the new Keens!
You ARE a soul, you HAVE a body.

rockinRio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #6
Indian Hills, Colorado
buyers beware! the plastic buckles that hold the foot support strap in place breaks easily. very easily. i have seen it on three pair. good rubber. good company. poor hardware. i am sure they will get it fixed...hopefully soon.

i second 5.10 there rubber is hands down the best in the industry. i have had the same booties for 3 years and they are still sticky as the first day i bought them. although they are starting to fall apart now.

remember, a shoe is far superior over a booty any day.
crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #7
dropzone, Colorado
I have been wearing some teva water shoes that I got for $35 on sierra trading post. They do pretty well and have more of a sole than the payettes. For me, the keens don't have enough support at the sole, too thin and more like a play bootie. The canyoneers are primo, but you pay for it and they will probably fall apart in a year, like every other pair of five tens I have owned (but the rubber is the best). I just saw the new teva avators and they look to be a pretty good offering. The sole is much better than on the payettes and could actually withstand hiking in with a boat for a long distance. The jury's still out on teva rubber, though, it just doesn't hook up on wet rocks that well. But I think that the avators might be the best thing out, unless you can find the canyoneers for around the same price.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008   #8
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998

5.10s. The Canyoneers are great but be a bit patient. Out of the chute I thought they were great on dry rock and as a hiking in boot, they can't be beat. I was almost devastated as to how they performed on wet rock. I was all over the place. Now after breaking them in a bit and the rubber softening up a bit they are great on dry AND wet rock. Little bulky but haven't really had a problem.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008   #9
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
The Keen Payettes are pretty sweet. They stuck to everything except the smoothest wet granite. Did a lot of hiking with them and they are super comfy. I can even fit in my playboat with them and I rock size 12. Only downside is it appears that the sole is wearing out very quickly

I talked to a guy who had the new 5.10 and he said there was no way he could fit into his creeker with them with size 12 feet. But other than that they were sweet.
970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008   #10
Sperry Topsiders, are the best creeking shoe in the history of man kind. Plus chicks love yachting shoes!

hey diddle diddle...
lotsawater is offline   Reply With Quote