Old 04-14-2005   #11
Teacher, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
In response to the question about fall river I think I can answer that one..
Fall river is mostly class 2-3 the rest has to be hard class five, and I don't know if it has been run.. The section that I am referring to is the couple hundred yard long section that runs under bear lake road. I am hoping to give it a shot this year if we get enough water, but I do know that it has killed several tourists. The think is a sieve/undercut magnet.. please let me know if you have herd about anyone running this section

Oh yeah then there is always the Alluvial Fan!!

Other then that the play park absolutely SUCKS!!! There is not one hole that does not flush before you even think about throwing a cartwheel. It is not even deep enough to throw a cartwheel in the flat water section...
Just below the confluence with the Big Thompson there is a decent hole that you can spin, blunt, chartwheel, and loop at certain levels..

hope that helps!!!

boof512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #12
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
Tim, you're a "creek" tease.. :P

badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #13
alright TIM youv'e got me determined to solve this riddle, south of Pikes peak you say front range ?
unless it is actually the sangre de christos then it pretty much has to be the st charles or stuff coming off spanish peaks, wahatoya,the breasts of the earth i have looked at the cucharas definitely has whitewater but lots of private prop. also topoed guayatoya and wahatoya might have potential one is trib of purgatoire also no. fk. purgatoire. is it the purgatoire itself there is areference on awa site but this is sangres i believe also always wanted to scout upr huerfano and may creeks. give us more clues please
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #14
Here is that article on the guys who tried to first D Beaver Creek. 600-1000 feet per mile section. Thats insane. Sounds like a good mission for someone with much bigger balls than me. My next guess is Sand Creek or Medano Creek flowing into the great sand dunes. I would imagine they suck up alot of the water thats upstream.

What do the Denver Police Department, Fremont County Search and Rescue paramedics and the U.S. Army have in common? They were all involved in a daring helicopter rescue last August of three kayakers tackling a first descent of Beaver Creek, a tributary to Colorado's Arkansas River. "Luckily, we had a happy ending," says rescue coordinator Andrew McGregor. " We had three men come out alive. They were tired, hungry and thirsty, but otherwise unharmed."

The situation arose after the three kayakers - John Weatherford, 26; William Cote, 32; and Luke Urbine, 25, all commercial guides on the Arkansas - set out at 11 a.m. for a first descent of 600-foot-per-mile Beaver Creek. Expecting to complete the 15-mile trip in one day, they quickly ran into problems because of downed trees and ended up trapped in the canyon for three days. "We had to carry too many rapids," says Weatherford. "We carried our boats for miles."

At dusk the first night, the group pulled over and made a fire to keep warm. By the next morning, they were almost out of food, splitting their last energy bar before continuing. At noon they gave up. "We came to a huge wall and figured we couldn't get through," says Weatherford, who climbed out of the canyon and used a two-way radio to make contact with a 15-year-old boy 35 miles away in Pueblo. After the boy called 911, Search and Rescue personnel made contact with Weatherford and called for a helicopter. Unable to find one from conventional sources, they finally tracked down the Denver Police Department, which agreed to help.

Helicopter pilot Bob Bosworth and co-pilot Mike Graves flew the department's Bell 407 to Fremont County, where they picked up two paramedics before heading to the Beaver Creek area. In pitch darkness and wind, Bosworth dropped the chopper down into the canyon, resting its skids on the canyon wall so the paramedics could jump out. "It was so black it was like flying inside a volcano," Bosworth says. "It was a one-shot deal."

When the paramedics reached Urbine and Cote, they found them cold and dehydrated. Weatherford, meanwhile, was still at the top of the canyon without food or water. The next morning he descended the cliff to join his friends, who, thanks to the paramedics, were now fed and warm. Later, the U.S. Army sent a Blackhawk helicopter from Fort Carson to pull the paddlers out. All three were back at their homes in Ca┬ľon City that afternoon - a little wearier and a little wiser.
lagoonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005   #15
Colorado Springs, Colorado
The St. Charles!! ding, ding, ding. Cayo is the winner of the topo challenge. The north fork is very cool, coming out of Beulah, its not long before a boulder choked 5 foot drop with a large undercut. There are some impressive rapids on the run but the geography is the cool thing about this run. A huge granite slab covers the river in one section, you can actually paddle under it, if it is clean, scout on right, some fence action to watch out for. The south fork has been run also, except for the areas where wood is plugging up the rapids. This is low volume, committed creeking, hiking, bushwhacking fun. Lots of private property.
TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005   #16
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I meant to say Geology! It was late.

TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote