Old 08-22-2006   #11
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003

Ok, I've read the term too many times without knowing what it means. What does rotomolded mean? I know rotomolded in creekboat = good, sturdy, etc., but not sure why.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #12
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
It is a method of molding plastic. The same way many boats are made. When you roto a part like a seat, pillar, step wall, etc. it gives you a more 3D (I guess that is how I would describe it) part. Instead of just being one thickness of plastic it is hollow with multiple sides. It makes for a much stronger part. As an example look at a seat in a Nomad or Jeffe (LL has a nice creek seat as well) and notice how thick it is and then look at a typical play boat seat. They are thin and more flexible. The thicker "3D" seat will take a bigger hit and be stronger under stress. The process is done by opening a mold, putting in a powder like material (the plastic), close the mold, put it in an oven, as the plastic heats up the mold starts spinning so it sticks to the outer wall of the mold. When it is done you open the hold, pop it out and let it cool. Roto is sort for rotational molding.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Teletumbler, To answer part of your original question: Between the 65 or 75, I would suggest trying the Diesel 75. More volume is better for creeking; faster resurfacing off drops, staying high on the water so you don't get bogged down on the edges...high and dry is a good thing for creeking. The 75 doesn't feel like a big boat when you are paddling downstream. Althought it isn't a "true" creekboat, it still performs well on least it worked for me (and many others) for the past 3 years.

(ON A SIDE NOTE) I got to try the new Wave Sport Habitat 80 on a few rapids the other day at Gore. I didn't get to paddle it as much as I wanted so I can only say that I initially liked it and can't wait to paddle it again. Robert Pearson, Jimmy and the rest of the WS crew spent almost 3 years perfecting this boat, and it seems to have paid off.

And, Good news about the WS plastic! I was told - by a credible source - that WS is going back to the plastic that they used about 4 years ago (Foreplay, and first year EZ's) That plastic is bomber!

I hope this helps.

Mark Olson
WS Regional Team
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #14
I'm not a fan of the Diesel. Too wide and too flat. I don't consider it a mainstream creeker.

Jackson plastic is pretty bomber. Their boats are holding up well.

Jefe seems like the perfect creeker shape.

basil is offline   Reply With Quote