Old 08-04-2008   #1
phoenix, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1970
creek boats? right length? favorite one?

for the type of creek like dry meadow and brush creek. What boat length is the best. I have noticed a lot of boaters doing these types of creeks in playboats.

I was thinking about buying a creek boat. I like the nomad but am afraid that 8.5 foot is too long.

What is everyones thoughts about the lengths of play boats.

What is everones thoughts about the volume needed. I am 5'11 215 pounds size 11 shoe.

Has anyone ever paddled the Habitat and the Nomad. What did you lie the best.

Please tell me what your favorite or not so favorite brand of creek boat and its length. Thanks

rogerL1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #2
Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Short answers: there is no "best" when it comes to kayak designs. A creek boat (any of them) will not be too long for the runs you mentioned. Creeking in a playboat is a good way to learn why people creek in creekboats, which is to say playboats make creeks harder while creekboats are designed to make creeks easier (notice I said designed). At your size, go with the larger boat in a given design series (i.e. Nomad 8.5, Super Hero, Mega Rocker, L Burn, etc.). Personally, I have been loving my Jackson Super Hero (7'11'', 87 gallons) for every kind of hard whitewater that I have encountered this season (class V on 20,000 to 100 cfs, clean to manky, big water to waterfalls). I find it to be much more user friendly, comfortable, and ready for overnighters than the M Burn I used to paddle without sacrificing the improved handling and playfulness that a planing hull offers.

FYI, I'm 5'6'', 150 #'s, size 9's, and I paddle for Jackson's Regional Team. So, add as much salt as you like to my recommendation of the Super Hero.

To summarize, you should base your boat buying decisions on how the boat feels to you (Demo!) and how it works on the type of water you want to paddle. You should not base your decision solely on a boat's stats (which are often incorrect), what other people are paddling, or what someone on Mountain Buzz tells you.

phlyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #3
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Originally Posted by rogerL1961 View Post
for the type of creek like dry meadow and brush creek. What boat length is the best. I have noticed a lot of boaters doing these types of creeks in playboats.
Brush creek this spring is actually where I finally learned why you would want to paddle a creek boat. I ran laps in my play boat, then my creek boat, and then my play boat... On Brush creek it didn't really matter what type of boat I was in. Anytime that I didn't get a good boof and penciled in I would go deeper and stick longer in my playboat. The creeker tended to stay higher and faster. In my opinion it's just personal preference (I think a creeker takes a bit less skill).

If you are running water with large holes it is nice to have a creek boat that tends to stay high and dry. My creeker also has a much more rounded bottom than my playboat. That is very nice when you hit a f-you rock. A flat bottom tends to throw you to the side more.

(My avatar happens to be of my first run of the 20ish foot drop on Brush)
bwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #4
Eldora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Back in the mid-90's I was running Brush Creek in a 10' Wave Sport Fusion and my friend was doing it in a Mirage. Anyhow, I just got my first creeker last week, tried a few different boats and went for a Wave Sport Diesel 75. I have paddled it once now and I loved it. Not a true creeker but feels stable and comfy and can surf pretty well also.
skogorbet is offline   Reply With Quote