Old 04-25-2012   #1
Creek at the Peak 2012

Some of you have been a part of making 2011's Creek at the Peak raft/kayak race on Clear Creek the incredible success that it was. If you were, we thank you. If not, hop on board - there are several exciting adjustments being made to this year's event, including:
- Creek at the Peak has been chosen as the U.S. nationals raft race! The format this year features an R4 race, and therefore we're changing the amateur raft race format to R4 as well to coincide with the nationals race. This format will allow teams to use smaller boats, and will make the race unique from many others which are tyically raced in R6 teams.
- We'll be starting the raft and kayak races at the Lawson whitewater park rather than Lower Dumont, which is a nicer start area and extends the race a bit through some great rapids in the upper section that were too beefy at last year's high flow. We're also working on starting the kayaks with a ramp launch into the river.
- We're organizing an all-day festival with live music, food and drinks, and vendors at the newly renovated Idaho Springs baseball fields. Rather than waiting until the race is over to start the after-party (and hosting it indoors) like we did last year, the festival will begin around 2:00 pm and will last until long after the race is over and awards have been given out.
- We're extending the event into Sunday, when the U.S. Nationals teams will be competing in head-to-head sprint and slalom events downstream in Golden.

For more details about Creek at the Peak 2012, or to register as an athlete for any of the reaces, please visit The 2nd annual CREEK at the PEAK Downriver Race on Clear Creek - June 23rd & 24th, 2012

bth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012   #2
You might want to consider moving the date up a month, or changing the name to ELFing at the End of Season.

Grif for President!
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #3
I would strongly consider rescheduling this race to take advantage of flows, and/or canceling/moving the rafting nationals to a river with water (so that they will want to have the race here in 2013). I'm guessing we will be lucky to have 200cfs by June 23rd.

Obviously I hope I'm wrong and would vote for Clear Creek to be stomping high for 3 months a year if I had a say. This was a really fun event that has good potential to become bigger and better, but the success is certainly dependent on flows (as with most events).
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #4
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie

You should bring a faster boat this year.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #5
Yes, yes I should. And as I recall, so should you. Besides, getting beat by the freaking raft team was way more embarrassing than losing to you. I didn't think it was possible to lose to a bunch of rafters.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #6
Cutch and deepstroke-
There are some things that are, of course, out of our control. Needless to say, we all wish that our current snowpack numbers were prettier. That having been said, we had to be aware, when planning this year's Creek at the Peak, of other events that we'd be competing against for competitors.
We're going to make the most of what we're given - and having guided on the upper stretch of Clear Creek for over a decade, I'll be incredibly surprised if we're at 200 cfs on June 23rd. It won't exactly be a big-water race, but we're looking to embrace what we're given and make the most of it - use smaller boats, dodge rocks, etc. - rather than cancel.
Hope to see you there exhibiting your best rock dodging skills!

bth is offline   Reply With Quote