Old 03-10-2007   #1
Crammed feet or not

So I finally demoed a Ronin 59 and a Dagger Agent 6.4. I had the same problem in the Agent 6.4 I did in the Project 62 its just too big. So in which case I am waiting to see if I can fit in the Agent 6.2. The question is with the Ronin. My feet instead of being Heel to Heel were Toe to Toe and with a little foam it would be much more comfortable. But what are the thoughts on this Most I talked to have their feet Heel to Heel but with size 13 it wont work in the Ronin. Also I slipped right into the Agent 6.4 no problem (I would have to foam it to fit better) but the Ronin I had to remove some foam to squeeze in nicely but other than my feet a little crammed it wasn't awful I would need to run a longer section to know if it would hurt more but does this TOE to TOE Position effect playboating in anyway?

J72186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007   #2
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Two problems I can imagine is that stability would be an issue as well as safety. The base of the feet come in handy for shock absorption, loops, and bow stalls. If you have enough foam for a bulkhead pitons are usually not a problem. Not sure about the to-to-toe scenario. A toe-to-toe position seems fairly unnatural and might cause some serious pain, numbness.

Unless your naturally pigeoned toed I can't imagine this being comfortable. I also don't think your knees would be in a good position for pressure changes in order to control the boat. This might throw off all your mechanics.

two cents

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #3
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Comfort is pretty key. Glad the Agent fit well. We started on that boat with comfort being at the top of the list. Everyone has been amazed. If you hop in a 6.2 make sure the foam beam does not keep your heels from touching. It opens up another 2 inches of room depending on where your feet line up.
As for performance, I think being pigeon toed will hinder you. One reason is pain in certain tricks let alone a big piton. An example of a trick would be a basic loop when you have to stand up. It would be like being a balerina (sp) on your toes like that. Good luck in whatever you choose. Can't wait for some water.
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #4
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Dude, I feel your pain...figuratively. I have the big dogs, too, and it can make boating problematic. You don't want too much volume that you can't throw down but the dogs bark if they don't have enough room. I don't feel your pain literally anymore because I said screw it and got into a bigger boat. I used to paddle a big easy and loved the boat but had no foam in the front and nothing on my feet. Every 10-15 minutes I had to get out or just suffer. Pitons killed. My feet looked like they'd been in a chipper-shredder after a long run. A couple years ago I got a vision 56 and loved the way it paddled but my feet were in even worse shape so I sold it (and cried). Then I bought a superstar and now my feet are comfy with foam and I can even wear rodeo socks. It's a little harder to throw but it's worth it.

Get the boat that's comfy. Design differences between two boats will not make a big enough difference to compensate for hurting feet.

What's the deal with this new buzz? I feel like I'm on acid.
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote