Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-08-2006   #11
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
O.k, I will chime in. Here is the letter sent to DSP in regards to his boat from our service dept.:

I am sorry to hear about your boat issues, but I do believe that we will have some problems getting this to pass as a warranty due to the fact you did hit a rock to cause this crack. As I told Eric, if you really feel that the boat is under spec in any way, or the crack was directly related to the seat wear we will need to cut out the serial number and the area that is damaged and send it back in for our plastic engineer to test for manufacturing defects. If this boat is defective (thin, under cooked, or over cooked) we will issue an RA. We are trying to provide you an option here instead of just denying the claim, but if we do not find any issues with the plastic then it will be considered abuse due to the rock hit and will not be covered and you will be without a boat. If you are unsure if this boat is truly defective it will be in your best interest to repair the boat on your own so you still have something to paddle. I will be happy to send you a welding repair kit if you would like me to, but please go through the dealer if you plan on sending the cut outs back in, we are authorized to work only with the dealers on warranty claims or inspections.

I too have broken boats from hitting stuff. It is part of the creek game. From what I read in this letter Dagger did try to figure it out and help him. I broke a CFS on OBJ years back (pre Dagger employment) sure the boat was worn because I had paddled it a bunch creeking that year but I knew I hit something hard. So, I threw it away and ordered another one. Creek boats break. The get punished and break. But to balme it on seat wear is tough to swallow as well. I paddled the same Nomad for three seasons and the hull is worn to bits now but it is still bomber and ready for another trip. If it took a big on the hull it very well could break.
Sorry but I have to answer to this now as I think our customer service is doing a good job. And as for the Nomad, it is doing a great job. 1st and 2nd at the Green race, new race record in the short boat, first short boat to break the 5 minute mark. It won the fish creek race, homestake race, and Burnt ranch this summer in addition to countless first Ds. Yeah dog. That boat is insane and tough to find one better.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Not trying to dis Dagger or the Nomad, Hobie. As I noted above, the customer service from dagger was courteous and prompt and Hobie responded to my request immediately. Thanks! Also I think that the boat kicks ass. I loved my nomad, and I think it was a great boat to push my personal limits in this year.

As for the seat wear, I'm not blaming, just stating what I saw on my boat. The hull showed obvious signs of wear in that one spot under the seat, and thats exactly where it cracked. It seems to me that the flex of the hull hits the seat and that causes accelerated wear, and I'm not the only one who has experienced it. Point loading the plastic in that spot causes more stress and so its the likely spot to break. I'd consider the hull / seat issue a potential room for design improvement for boat longevity for Dagger, and a learning experience for me.

My original question was, are other boats more durable than this, and the answer seems to be no, except from Prijon, which has the different plastic. Thanks for the feedback. Now I just have to figure out how to fit a creekboat under a christmas tree!

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006   #13
dropzone, Colorado
Originally Posted by hobie
O.k, I will chime in. . . . So, I threw it away and ordered another one. Creek boats break. The get punished and break.
Hey Hobie, now that we have you on the line for a moment I wanted to ask a related question. By the way, it sounds like the customer service is doing what it can, but as I alluded to above I have had excellent service similar to Flaco's "leasing option" with a creek boat from another company.

Anyway, here is my question, based on your qoute above. How can CO paddlers recycle their broken boats? I wish that there was an option such as having a specified collection date at a local shop or something where all the cracked/unusable boats that people want to recycle could be gathered and sent to a place to get recycled.

I know Liquid Logic down in North Carolina will take old boats and recycle them for you, but it doesn't seem to be an option out West. You can only have so many boats as flower planters... and I have two cracked hulls in the garage that need to be reincarnated as someone's spatula or something. over and out.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006   #14
Although I have never paddled the hercules, everyone I have talked to about it says it rages. I have also talked to the prijon rep recently and he said they haven't really had any problems with them breaking. I would recommend trying one out. Good luck.

P.S. Aren't rocks an integral part of creek boating? I broke my Salto on a rock and they sent me a brand new one, no questions asked! hmmm...
NateK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006   #15
Golden, Colorado
Hey Ian,
I would keep the cracked boat and fix it so you have a spare when you break your next one. I cracked my boat a few years back and it was not fixable so I was out of a creek boat in the height of the season.
If you don't weld the crack then just use some of that sticky roofing tape that is like a sheet of tar with metal foil on the back side. Heat up everything with a heat gun or a hair dryer when you are working with it. Glue a foam pad between the patch and your seat or the seat will tear up the patch within 5 minutes of creeking. Don't forget to drill holes at the ends of the crack so it doesn't propagate. I fixed my cracked Embudo like this (yes, I broke an Embudo) and it works great. Now I have a spare for 100 cfs Bear Creek next April.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006   #16
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
My original question was, are other boats more durable than this, and the answer seems to be no, except from Prijon, which has the different plastic. Thanks for the feedback. Now I just have to figure out how to fit a creekboat under a christmas tree!
Doesn't anyone listen to me? Jackson boats are supposed to be crosslink, and I think I read somewhere the new Wavesports were perhaps going to use crosslink plastic as well. I don't know jack about manufacturing plastic, but it seems to be generally agreed upon by the experts that crosslink plastic is tougher than linear for boating applications. It's disadvantage seems to be that once they break they're hard to repair, and is less environmentally friendly.

Undoubtedly all boats differ in their durability and failure points. It's hard to quantify that though. I'd bet the people that know best are the retailers that handle the warranties.

As for the Dagger warranties, I don't see how you can call this failure a warranty issue. In fact, I've always been surprised how readily some companies offer free replacements and deep discounts on replacements for boats that were probably just broken through hard use. However, it's a nice policy given that nobody wants to dump 1k on a boat and have to replace it the next year. I'm sure Dagger being a large company needs to mandate a specific policy and enforce it uniformly, whereas other smaller companies may have some more leeway in handling cases.

The market should decide. People buy Nomads because they're good creekboats. If people are finding similar designs with better durablity or better replacement policies, they'll start buying those and I'm sure Dagger will adjust accordingly.

I just felt like rambling, but my main point was, I don't think you should just say, "Well LLs break, Pyranhas break, Daggers break, Jacksons break, Riots break", therefore all boats are equally durable.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006   #17
dude (ksc) - just admit -

1) all fancy new nicely outfitted WS's are bound to crack.

2) how can it NOT be a faulty design, if multiple people have this same crack becasue of where and how the seat and plastic touch?

3) no one is listening cause i already told you - the 6 yr old salto is the new hot boat. it is great to watch it float down BR, as you're swimming after it and dodging holes and rocks -

hey nateK - was that salto that got replaced over a year old?
Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006   #18
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Thanks KSC, we are listening. I'll look into the crosslinking boats some more. It would be interesting to have some independent testing done on boats to see what durability and failure modes are like. I guess I'll add that one to my list of jobs I'd like to do after winning the lottery.

I guess I'll just try to patch up my trusty ole nomad and have my very own frankenboat! I like Ture's idea of having a beater boat to do the rocky stuff with.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006   #19
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
DSP, and any others that are trying to figure out the superiority of plastics...

This document is from a professor at BYU. Although I don't know him personally, he is the shiznit when it comes to plastics. Funny thing with all linear plastics is that they are all the same. All companies like to name their plastic Riot's Cross Max (High Density Linear), Super Linear (just high density linear).

According to our plastics rep, who is the same guy that sells to all brands, linear is linear... except for the densities.

Cross link is a whole other game. There are drawbacks. It's super toxic to make, so we outsource to crosslink molders. It's only really recyclable via grinding and applying in asphault (which is a very cool way to recycle), and bottom line from a manufacturing standpoint... IT EXPENSIVE PLASTIC....

But, EJ firmly believes in it and its a fact that we have only warrantied 9 retail boats since we started the company. Another fact is that 4 of those were incorrectly cooked at linear temps and therefore were SUPER brittle. So I would contest from a breaking standpiont we have really just 5 out of 6000+ boats in the market.

Another admission, our team members have broken a few, I think about 6 more. Me being one of them, but I was litterally teetering on a needle point put in and heard it crack as I was sliding into boulder creek put in. If I had paid retail for that boat, I would have never tried to put in on that thing...ever.

Regardless, here is the read on Cross link from a third party professor. It's a bit long, but super informative and easy to read.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006   #20
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
KSC - "Jackson boats are the strongest on the market because of the cross link plastic." - Anonymous CKS employee who required that he remain un-named. I'm not sure if CKS carries Prijon.

Also, I will admit that I unfortunately pitoned my Rocker off an 18ft cliff into inches of water this summer. The outfitting gave as it was designed, so I didn't break my ankles. I did hog nose the boat, but it popped back out after a few hours in the sun. Tough boats.

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote