Old 07-19-2011   #11
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
I'll be there, also coming from the 307.

Lin3Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
thought for the day...

What is Bailey Fest?

Bailey Fest is a gathering to celebrate the whitewater on the North Fork of the South Platte River. Last year I brokered a deal with Denver Water to coordinate Denver Water deliveries on the north fork on a scheduled weekend so that boaters could plan out a time to come to the river. I think the North Fork is a great river as its got good runs for class III, IV, and V boaters alike and has a variety of options. You can go as easy or hard as you want.

After the deal was made, my next thought was that this called for a PARTY! I thought about what makes a good river party... a classic river, good flows, a great takeout party with free food and beer, a nice group campsite for boaters to congregate. With those thoughts in mind, the ideas for Bailey Fest started to gel. 2010 was a good kickoff year, and I'm looking to take things up a notch for this year. As I contemplated a party, I realized I needed help. AW, Jackson kayak, Confluence Kayaks, Whitewater Tube Co., and Oskar Blues Brewery all stepped in to help with planning and funding. All are big assets to the boating community! Thanks!

What Bailey Fest is not... Bailey Fest is not a race, it is not a competition, it is not a contest. There are already a ton of these types of events in CO that are big crowd favorites. I wanted to do something with a different slant.

What Bailey Fest is... Bailey Fest is a Party that celebrates collaboration, coordination, and comradarie, and mostly a good time on the river. I wanted Bailey Fest to stand out as a fun event that focused on having fun on an off the river in a community setting. I wanted Bailey Fest to be something that everyone could enjoy and participate in. My mental model for Bailey Fest was Gauley Fest (although I have never been, only read about it). What really struck me about Gauley Fest was the combo of a classic river with a huge party... sounds like a great recipe to me.

The key to success of Bailey Fest is attendance... Good attendance shows user demand to denver water, shows value to sponsors, and shows the viability of the event for the future. If we want Bailey Fest to be around for years to come... show up this year and make it happen!

Thanks to the folks who came last year, and to those that have offered thanks and encouragement for this year.

Looking forward to another great event!

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011   #13
Denver, Colorado
T-minus 23 days... Getting pumped!

Does anyone know if you can access any of the major rapids on bailey by foot or motorbike without any serious tresspassing? The guy with the helicopter camera called me up and wanted to shoot bailey fest. I think the heli-cam is pretty awesome and it sounded like a great idea.

Main issue is getting the camera into the river. Its too big for a kayak (guy doesn't kayak anyway). If the guy could find a reasonable motor bike or potentially a hike in, it may work. Thoughts?
Old 07-21-2011   #14
Englewood, CO
Paddling Since: 2002
Hike to Crossons

One possibility is to hike to the ghost town of Crossons. These are the old buildings at the bridge below Deer Creek. To get there take the road east from Bailey, past the old put-in. It winds around and turns into a dirt road. At the top of a hill there is a forest service dirt road that says "Miller Gulch trail head" and "Buck Gulch trail head". My gazeteer shows this as FR532, but I think it had a different # last time I was there. After about 1 mile you will see these 2 trail heads with a forest service sign and a couple of parking spots. There is a road that goes left at this point (back to the west), it's labeled as FR139. You can follow it a little bit further and it ends with a forest service gate. Walk around the gate and continue following the road and you'll hit the S. Platte at Crossons in about 15-20 minutes (maybe a little longer?). When you cross the bridge at Crossons you can walk up the old railroad grade and be at Deer Creek quickly. You can follow the grade past Deer Creek as well.
I know that the hike is on a forest service road and I've talked to fishermen down there who told me it's public.
sfornst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011   #15
Is Foxton doable in a small cat?
I like steep and tight.
What flows do you predict?

Sounds like a great party!
Rich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011   #16
Denver, Colorado
Thanks for the info on the crossons hike in! That sounds perfect.

Flows should be med/low or closer to med if we are lucky. Expecting 350-375ish.

Not sure if you could take a cat down foxton. Shredder, maybe. Its a bit rocky, the put in boulder garden is too tight for most inflatables probably. Most of the rest of the river would probably go I guess, but its a fairly small creekbed. I'd say its tighter than clear creek, maybe about the size of boulder creek? Maybe someone else can chime in.
Old 07-24-2011   #17
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I'd say you could definitely run Foxton in a Shredder or Mini Me at 500 and have fun.You could probably bang down it in a slightly larger craft at 375 but it would be real bony in spots and maybe not so fun.Foxton is a wider streambed
than Boulder Creek [1 1/2 x ?] a little smaller than Clear Creek and a lot rockier than BC Town run but way less mank than the canyon/lower/Buttress. I don't know how long your cat is ,but a guy I know that duckies' Gore and everything on Bailey except 1st falls,got pinned once in the Boulder garden in a two man 13' Aire Lynx. There are some pretty narrow slots in there low also.

At higher flows it would probably be a blast in a cat.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011   #18
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Love the banner ad!
Be there for sure.
stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011   #19
thanks Ian & cayo.

Sounds like I will need to bring a smaller boat!
Rich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011   #20
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via Skype™ to DanielGlauser
Thanks for running the show Ian

Last year was a great time, looking forward to this year's event. Will probably stick to one run, two runs last year was a bit rough.

Big South next weekend? If not I'll see you at the fest! Happy to help out again as well.

DanielGlauser is offline   Reply With Quote