Old 06-07-2013   #21
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
We finished up a post-work Bailey run last night. She's low but free of logs and hazards.

Seeing the campground brings back good memories and we all are anxious for the festival!

History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill-
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #22
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Team Bailey Fest has been loving the peak flows! We've been hard at work obsessively checking gauges, planning adventure missions, crushing boofs, holding on to braces for dear life, and guzzling takeout beers. Bailey Fest planning continues though... looking forward to a great event!

I've gotten several calls and emails for folks wanting to sponsor bailey fest or be a part of the event. The more the merrier, hit me up if you are interested. We welcome all kinds of sponsors, big and small.

I'd like to throw some props out to Bart, the Bailey Fest campground landowner. He's super cool, and we are so lucky to have hooked up with Bart. You rule Bart! If you see Bart around the camp during the event, be sure to thank him (he's tall, lean, about 60ish, drives an old beater pickup).

Next up... spraying the Bailey Fest campground for thistles next week. We wouldn't want those idaho springs raft guides to have to pass out face down in thistles would we?

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #23
I'll be happy to judge the Baileyfest Bootie Beer Battle, but before it begins, I believe a standard should be set. Therefore, wether he swims at Baileyfest or not, I will request that Ian begin his atonement for all of his swims over the years by drinking his first bootie beer perched atop the picnic table for all to see.
Grif for President!
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #24
Denver, Colorado
Thanks for the request Ken. I have filed it with the proper authorities and will get back to you.
Old 06-13-2013   #25
Buena Vista, Colorado
Originally Posted by DoubleYouEss View Post
Will there be different classes in the BaileyFest Bootie Beer Battle, or is it a free for all?
I'd be down to provide the booze for a "whiskey class" booty beer (swig). Just saying...

Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013   #26
Denver, Colorado
Len, the whiskey class bootie sounds punishing! Lets see who steps up?

Time to get some more Bailey Fest stoke going. The runoff is dwindling, but Bailey is rising! Gotta love the North Fork... savior of the late season paddler.

Jackson Kayak is once again Bailey Fest's main sponsor. This year Jackson is donating a Karma in the size of choice for the winner of the Supermax Showdown foamie race. Took my L Karma down Bailey last weekend, and boy did she dominate. Stays on the surface and plows through holes without missing a beat.

Also... I've got a stealth project in the works that has the potential to be a game changer. Still working the details, but I should have something to announce by Bailey Fest. This one could be huge!
Old 06-26-2013   #27
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Originally Posted by Len View Post
I'd be down to provide the booze for a "whiskey class" booty beer (swig). Just saying...
It's really the way to go from a hygiene standpoint...
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied...learn to swim!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013   #28
Denver, Colorado
Bailey Fest Safety Moment...

Many people have the attitude that they can run the big drops at a festival even if they normally wouldn't because there are so many people there for safety. This is absolutely the wrong way to look at it. There might be more safety to haul you out of the river, but that doesn't change your ability to hit the line. We had 3 serious injuries last year with a broken jaw, lacerated forehead, and a concussion.

I'd rather people take a conservative approach. If you aren't sure about a rapid, walk it. It will be there next week or next year. If you are hungover and aren't feeling it... then walk.

Also, please be prepared for paddling Bailey. You should have all your safety equipment with you. Don't assume someone else will have it covered.

I'd also like to ask the more seasoned boaters to bring their full rescue set up... extra rope, pin kit, breakdown, med kit. You can handle the weight, and the community might need you to step up and help out. Don't assume that someone else will rescue someone even if they aren't in your crew. Actively help in rescues, and make sure people get out of the river safely.

If your group is unpinning boats, be very careful about blocking upstream traffic, or setting up a rope hazard for paddlers coming down. If you need to put ropes across the river, always have someone go upstream to warm paddlers coming down that there are ropes, and tell them where the safe spot or portage is.

We will have a few key individuals with med training and safety equipment at Bailey Fest running with the masses. We will also have lat/longs of the major rapids to aid potential rescue. I will have a SPOT device on me, if folks have satelite rescue devices, bring them with you.

Also, remember that if you need to hike out, its best to hike upstream if you lose your gear at four falls or in the steeps. At supermax or below I would recommend hiking to the takeout.

Thanks for coming out to Bailey Fest, and thanks to all in advance for helping out with community safety.
Old 07-02-2013   #29
Denver, Colorado
Sigh... the wonderful month of June has passed into history, and a mighty fine June it was.

Now its July, Bailey Fest is the only event on the buzz event list now, and its summer for real.

I've got a few fun things in the works for Bailey Fest, and hopefully a nice surprise for the event if I can get it all sorted. For the most part though, Bailey Fest will very similar to last year... it will be AWESOME!

Same awesome camp spot. Same good flows from Denver Water. Lots of cold beer from our sponsors Oskar Blues. Chrispy's band is playing saturday night to add to the party. The supermax showdown foamie race is going huge again. I'm gathering sponsor goodies to amass for the prizes for the race.

A message from the Bailey Fest land owner... NO DOGS! Don't bring them, leave them at home. If you do bring a dog, you will be asked to leave. Not my rule... its his... and he is super cool to let us stay, so we need to abide by his house rules.

Sadly I got news today that Buck and Mickey will not be around to set up the slackline at supermax. Damn. That was a hoot. If there are any folks out there crazy enough to try a repeat give me a shout.

38 days til Bailey Fest!!!!!
Old 07-03-2013   #30
Edmond, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1988
no dogs no robfather

eh, my yellow lab is standard equipment for the back of my tacoma. im out. ill be there before or after.

robfather is offline   Reply With Quote