Old 08-12-2013   #141
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I was glad to see no injuries during my time on Bailey. It seems like everyone was on their game this year. Will be camping next year!

-Τὸ χόβερκράφτ μου εἶναι γεμᾶτο χέλια!
bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #142
Paddling Since: 96
Just a great weekend! Saw old friends, discovered some new ones... Thank you Ian for facilitating one of the best gatherings of the Tribe I've been to.

Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #143
Idaho Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Originally Posted by huck it View Post
My doctor told me today I produce too much adrenalin. Good thing Bailey Fest is only once a year! Once again another awesome weekend at the fest!
I wish Bailey Fest was once a week!

So I started a new Thread for people to post cool pics or Videos taken during the Fest. So if you have any, stop being lazy and post them. I put a couple good ones up, so it's someone elses turn .
livin_tll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #144
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I have nearly 500 photos uploaded to my Flickr account from Bailey Fest. I wasn't aware Flickr protected these photos so you can't just download them which is what I wanted. If you see a photo of yourself and want it let me know and I can get it to you.

Bailey Fest 2013 - a set on Flickr
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #145
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Thanks guys! Glad you had a good time. I did as well. So much fun.

Peter, no photo video comp this year. We had fun with it last year, but I liked it when folks just posted up photos and videos for fun to share. So post them up!

I spoke with the Hog Heaven folks, and they wanted to say a big thanks to all the folks at Bailey Fest. Rod, the owner, said that everyone at the fest was so happy and thankful, and it was a great time for the Hog Heaven Folks. They also sold all the food they had, which works great for them, and means we will have them back next year. Rod wanted me to post a reminder that Hog Heaven does lots of events, so if you want catered BBQ, give them a ring. Thanks Rod and Hog Heaven!

We had no major injuries that I am aware of at this year's bailey fest, which is awesome. No ambulances, no helicopters. Thank you to all the paddlers who kept things safe and in control. Also, thanks to Ian Howells and the BF med team who were prepared to help if needed.

The winner of the Supermax Showdown was Quinn Connell. Congrats to Quinn for winning a new Jackson Karma, and dominating like the foamie champ that he is. Send me a PM or email contact on the BF website Quinn, so I can make sure we are squared up.

There were two winners tied to the be the first Bailey Fest Bootie Beer Battle Champions. Josh Mack and Niel's wife took home 5.10 gift cards for new booties that might make that bootie beer a little nicer next year. We had 15 brave souls get up on the table a chug their booties at the takeout party. Love it!

I will print another batch of shirts shortly. If you want one, send me a check for $20 made out to Ian Foley noting what size you want. Send checks to the address below. Do it this week, because I will place the order at the end of next week, and only for the shirts I have payment in hand for.

Ian Foley
1524 South Fillmore Street
Denver, CO 80210

It was an incredible weekend. Hope to see you all next year. Bailey Fest 5 will be August 8-10, 2014. Already looking forward to Turning on the Tunnel!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #146
SW, Colorado
Big Thanks Once Again!

Had a great time! Can't overstate what a cool gathering Baileyfest is!

Only 363 days till the next go-round!
fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #147
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Yes indeed. I am very glad to have attended. All I can say is thank you Ian. Well done sir.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #148
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Quick clip of a couple rapids

Short video POV.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #149
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Great to see that you all had a good time.

I'd like to give HUGE thanks to Jeff Ursoy, Jeremy Hutchins, and Mike Resch for being the supermax showdown saviours this year. We had an abundance of technical difficulties and had to figure out last minute gradient changes, exploding pipe fixes, and electrical connection problems. These 3 guys made it happen, and without them I probably would have given up canceled the race, and just randomly given out the prizes. So thanks guys! You rock. 12 Pack engineering will be huddling up in the garage to figure out some fixes for next year to make things go smoother. While it may be mildly entertaining to watch the foamie race blow up, its certainly not one of my scheduled events.

Also, please take a minute to send a note to any or all of our sponsors to say thank you. There is a link on the bailey fest website with all the sponsor logos, which should link to their sites. Hit up the contact form and tell them thanks for supporting bailey fest. Feedback means a lot to them and helps us get it done next year. Also please send thank you notes to Denver Water to Dave Bennet at Dave is the main guy at Denver Water that worked out the Bailey Fest release with me. Tell him thanks for turning on the tunnel, and let him know how good flows were and what it means to you and the paddling community. The more positive feedback we give to our sponsors and Denver Water, the easier it will be to keep this going.

Finally, to the fire ball twirling chick... you rule! I had wanted to get somebody to the fest twirling balls of fire, but never got around to it. Thankfully you showed up anyway! Great light show. Hit me up with a PM or a note on the Bailey Fest website.

Dates for 2014 are August 15-17. I think I erroneously posted that the fest would be August 8-10 2014, but this is one year when August has 5 full weekends, and OR is the 8-10.

Turn it up!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #150
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Amazing Baileyfest Ian! I had a spectacular time!

One thing I did want to bring up was the junk show safety scene that I witnessed at Foley Falls (1st falls). I know there were lots of lines and lots of various safety setups over the weekend, but when I came through it was ugly.

By far the biggest problem was people throwing ropes that were either completely unneeded because the swimmer was coming into the eddy already or people throwing ropes at swimmers that were not looking for a rope. I also saw a throw where the rope was draped across several paddlers.

I witnessed one boater swim and as soon as his head was above the surface in the hole, he was hit by 4 ropes. He was unable to grab any of them because he wasn't looking and completely disoriented. After setting down my camera, I calmly yelled rope at him until he looked up and then bagged him out of the hole.

Everyone wants to get their buddy out of a jam as quickly as possible, but the most important thing with throwbags is patience and judicious use.

So in that vein, I present a blog post from a few years ago with some pointers: Huckin Duckie with ropes.

Great to see everyone and come on up to the PacNW - we're still paddling!

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote