Old 07-10-2012   #41
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Just picked up a set of Thule kayak stackers and Yakima kayak stackers from Rack Attack for Bailey Fest sponsor donation! The stackers will be part of the prizes at Bailey Fest for you to win.

Rack Attack is a local Denver Rack shop that has roof racks, rack accessories, cargo carriers, trailer hitches etc. They have all the rack stuff you need, they install it, and they do it well.

I bought rack equipment for my car and my wife's car at Rack Attack, and would highly recommend then for all your rack needs.

Big thanks to Matt and the Denver Rack Attack Store for supporting Bailey Fest!

Check them out at...
Rack Attack Denver - Colorado Location

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012   #42
Denver, Colorado
Nick Wigston and Downstream Edge are doing a 1/2 day safety class on Saturday Aug 11 during Bailey Fest. The class time will be somewhere around 9-12. The class is designed to deliver some safety and rescue basics while still allowing folks to paddle that afternoon during the fest. If you are stepping up to run bailey and want to beef up your skills, just getting into III/IV river running on Foxton and have never taken a safety class, or just want to knock off the dust and review your safety, this class is for you. Nick and Downstream Edge are recognized as the go-to folks for top notch safety instruction in Colorado. I did a class with Nick with my primary crew a few years back, and it was excellent. Highly recommended!

The class will be held on the North Fork of the South Platte at the Bailey Fest campground. Contact Nick at Downstream Edge for details. Class cost is $50 per person. Part of the proceeds of the class will be donated to Bailey Fest to help out the event.

Big thanks to Nick and Downstream Edge for supporting Bailey Fest and for bringing top notch safety instruction to the paddling community.

Old 07-12-2012   #43
Denver, Colorado
Its been like Christmas lately here at Bailey Fest headquarters! Gear packages have been rolling in from sponsors just about every day.

Just got the sponsor donation in from Five Ten. Five Ten has donated two gift cards of $150 each that will be part of the prizes at the supermax showdown foamie race. They also threw in 6 T-shirts. A gift card can get you a new pair of Five Ten's Water Tennies. You could also use them to get a pair of canyoneers (you will need to chip in about $5 for those).

I wore the canyoneers for about 3 years and loved them. Best gripping sole on any water shoe I have tried. This season I've been wearing the water tennies, and they are badass too. Great water shoes with hands down the best gripping soles out there.

Big thanks to Ronnie and Five Ten for supporting Bailey Fest.
Old 07-13-2012   #44
Denver, Colorado
The packages keep rolling in for your future winning pleasure.

Jack's Plastic Welding sent over a guide Paco Pad. Man, I love the paco pad! My old blue pad is still kicking ass 6+ years later. The ultimate in raft support or car camping comfort. Also good for a slip n slide!

Jack's also sent over medium round bottom dry bag. Bomber material, and the bag easily fits a 4.5 yr old child inside, as my kids demonstrated when I opened up the box. Awesome river tripping bag!

Big Thanks to Jack and Jack's Plastic Welding for supporting Bailey Fest!

Check em out...

inflatable boats, self bailing rafts, catarafts, pontoons, inflatable kayaks, dry bags, paco pads, spill containments, culvert plugs by Jack's Plastic Welding Inc.

Also, I really got a kick out of the solar powered raft mission across lake Powell. Jack and crew demonstrate the ultimate in raft MacGyvering by rigging up solar panels on the roof of a raft to provide shade and power in the desert. Brilliant!

Solar powered inflatable crosses Lake Powell
Old 07-13-2012   #45
Charlotte, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2011
New to CO and Bailey Fest

Hi folks-

I am moving to Denver from North Carolina and will be arriving the Thursday before Bailey Fest. I was super excited to find out I'll be making it in time for a whitewater festival as I'll be missing Gauley Fest this year.

I don't know any boaters in Colorado, so I was looking to meet up with people and see if anyone would be willing to show me the lines on the Foxton run and run shuttle. I've paddled about a year and am a solid class III/IV boater and always looking to get better! As I will be brand new to Colorado, I was hoping to link up with people for Bailey before the festival.

CatWile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012   #46
Denver, Colorado
Hey Cat,

You should check out the colorado whitewater cruise on the foxton run on sunday during bailey fest. To get on the run, you need to join CW. Its and AW affiliate. Annual membership is around $30-35 if I remember right. CW is a good way for new boaters to get plugged into the scene. They have cruises, which are organized group trips for CW members led by an experience trip leader and sweep who know the run. Its essentially an instant-crew. You can sign up for CW before bailey fest, and probably do it online. Then sign up for the foxton cruise and you are set.

Also, there will be tons of boaters at Bailey fest, so I am sure you will be able to find paddlers to hook up with. If you are having trouble finding folks... come find me at the fest and I will hook you up with paddlers getting out on foxton for the III/IV. Bailey is IV/V and might be over your head. We will have some videos of the run playing at the fest, so you can check it out to see if you want to paddle it.

Colorado Whitewater - Home
Old 07-14-2012   #47
durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
Jack Kloepfer

Thank you for the kind words about the Paco Pads, and the Dry Bags. Of course Paco Pads became a standard for rafting comfort years ago. However many people do not realize the quality of our dry bags. Hatch Exp has used them since 1983. I do not know if the orriginals are still in service. Last time I checked (10 years ago) they were. guess it is time to do that again. So go out to the bailey fest. get some quality river time in, and see if you can win something. It may be one of our products.

Thanks for the support, and remember to buy American, because we are here to help when there are problems, and we just make better stuff because we have to.
jpwinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012   #48
Denver, Colorado
T minus 25 days and counting til Bailey Fest!

The "week of packages every day" culminated in the delivery of a Werner Powerhouse straight shaft 197cm 30 deg paddle. Its a beauty... and ready for your winning pleasure at Bailey Fest.

I've used Werner paddles for most of my paddling life, and I love them. If you don't trust my opinion (why the hell don't you?), then check out this photo of 4 of the hardest charging guys out there... Note 3 powerhouses and one Shogun and 100% Werner. There you have it.

Pic of the team brandishing Werner Paddles...
CKO_River team ready to go!

Write up of the expedition...
Stookesberry and Korbulic Slay the Impossible Gorge on the Marble Fork of the Kaweah
Old 07-16-2012   #49
Denver, Colorado
Mega props to Nathan Fey and American Whitewater for helping with Bailey Fest event insurance. There are lots of behind the scenes things that go into putting on a legit event, and insurance is one of the big hurdles.

Nathan will lead an AW membership drive at the takeout party on Saturday. New and existing memberships should sign up or re-up then. If you are a current member, sign up at the Fest and get you membership extended for a year beyond the current end date.

Nathan will have a dagger nomad to raffle away at the party. Get your nomad raffle ticket by signing up for membership to AW at the Fest. Nathan will have more gear to give out for the signup raffle too!

Part of the Bailey Fest mission is to help grow AW members in CO and the west as well as raise some money for AW. AW is our voice in river management issues and we need to support them! I also want to use Bailey Fest as the example of how water managers and recreational users can work together in the tough framework of Colorado water
Old 07-17-2012   #50
Denver, Colorado
I want to throw a big shout out to Jon Kahn and Confluence Kayak Shop. Jon has been a Bailey Fest sponsor and supporter from Day 1, and his help has been instrumental in getting Bailey Fest off the ground.

In addition to sponsoring Bailey Fest every year, Jon has given me lots of help with gear, planning, organization etc.

The other day, I went into Confluence to meet Jon to pick up the Bailey Fest sponsor gear donation for this year. Kayak store shopping spree! Hell yeah! 1/2 hour later I walked out with a bulging bag of gear with all sorts of goodies for Bailey Fest prizes. The beauty of the grab bag is a Shred Ready full face helmet. Do you like having your teeth in your mouth firmly attached to your gums? Yeah, me too.

Jon also is lending me a full size mannekin from the shop to put all the Supermax Showdown gear on for display at the Fest. I think I'll call him Senor Supermax. Look for Senor Supermax wearing all the gear you can win in the Supermax Showdown Foamie Race.

A few words on the foamie race, as I have gotten many questions...
-The race will be held sat night at the campground, and not at supermax rapid
-Foamies will be provided, you don't need to bring your own (but if you have one, bring it for trial runs)
-The course is a mini model of supermax rapid with a recirculating pump suppling a constant flow of water
-Entrance fee is $20. Everyone who enters will win a prize. First round knock outs will choose from a grab bag of shirts, hats, cam straps, magazines, glfex etc. Second round knock outs pick from ropes, fleece, pogies, magazine subsciptions. Final 8 race to win: boat, paddle, dry top, pfd, skirt, 5.10 gift certificates, full face helmet.

I designed the course so that races are quick, to be able to roll through a large number of entrants easily. The course dished out some beatdowns, pins, splats, cartweels and lots of lead changes, so it should be exciting. To top it off, we will have a keg of Oskar Blues Beer attached directly to the course. Class V foamie beatdowns, free beer, and tons of prizes... GAME ON!