Old 09-14-2005   #31
Master's Student
Originally Posted by juan
Just a thought on this. Obviously you need to pump water through the system, and back up to the top, most likely at least 20-50 feet of head to have enough fun, (falls, drops, etc..)

I just worked on a job where we priced out pumps for an industrial use, and the estimated cost for 1 pump with 35,000 gpm capacity (77 cfs), is $1 million, with the power required to run it. So, you can see the costs getting pretty crazy on something like this.

That said, its a great idea, and I've thought of it myself many times. The pump issue is probably just an obstacle, not a fatal flaw-
Surplus pumps from water-pumper fire engines...

Also, this is an outdoor recreation development project, thus there are monies available through the Land and Water Conservation funds. Further if these monies are used, the park they are used in is protected through perpetuity. This means the area is protected from any eminent domain or non-outdoor recreation development by the authority of the Department of the Interior. Although this limitation must be carefully considered, it can sometimes be a very benificial clause to have protecting a park.

"When it comes down to dying, I want to know what it is like to have truly lived." -Lou Whittaker
knu2xs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #32
Man, this whole idea is well and good but your taking some of the beauty out of living in Colorado. Boat and Boat like hell when there is water. When the water drops, Seek out the water but don't be afraid to get on a bike or go for a run. Get your heart rate up a little so when the snow flies and your breaking trail through waist deep fresh you don't blow a lung. THEN, when the temps start climbing, sit back with 12 PBR and start training for the run-off. You wouldn't want to go into the season with an out of shape liver.

Embrace the seasons folks.

Plus, This seems like a huge waste of resources. Lets not do anything more to encourage the current administrations "need" for energy. we already drive enough with shuttles and road trips.

PARKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005   #33
WWplaypark dreaming

Great discussion. I work at the REI Flagship store in Denver. We've been exploring this idea as well and want to partner with others to make it happen somewhere in the downstream proximity of Confluence Park, as the City is considering plans now for what to do with that area. One thing that I would like to explore that may be an additional plus for the community is the potential for the facility to clean the water as it enters the facility and then leave it clean as it exits back to the river; a conservation boost which would both aid the environment as well as paddlesports impression on the larger community. Although I'm guessing that this could entail a range of additional costs to those currently being discussed here, some kind of filtering has to be considered. Anyone who has rolled in Confluence Park knows that it is not a healthy environment. It's officially "Class B" municipal water for health, which means it's considered "safe for floating upon, but not immersion within." Let's continue to explore this and find ways to act upon it.

OpenBoatBob is offline   Reply With Quote