Old 08-23-2007   #1
Costa Rica suggestions

I've got 2-3 free days in Costa Rica this December (around the 13th). I'm looking for suggestions as to what rivers I should check out with my limited time. I'd prefer class V, but I'm cool with anything.

Anyone going to be down there this winter and wanna hook up?

doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #2
Breckenridge, Colorado
the chirripo should be on your hitlist

freeheelintodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #3
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
It may still be raining a fair amount around that time, but it depends. When it's really rainy you can't really get on all the sick creeks cuz they're too high. You should hook up with a buddy of mine from San Jose. He gets on the buzz every now and again so he will probably see this post, but he's the go to guy for creeking in CR. He'll rent you a boat and help you figure out what you can squeeze in. If you send me an email I will get you in touch with him.
conmihupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #4
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Reventazon and Pacuare

The Reventazon runs about a IV-V and the Pacuare is a solid III-IV almost year round. The Pacuare has so many rapids...probably the highest number of rapids to distance ratio in the world.

Check out Whitewater Rafting in Costa Rica the guides are super cool and they feed you breakfast at their HQ and then an awesome lunch on the river.

Have Fun!

Pura Vida!

calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to J
Reventazon and Pacuare are good bets. Reventazon is big water class IV in my estimation, and dirtier than the south platte... don't let that deter you though, it is a great run.

I think there is a class V section of the Pacure, but I didn't run it.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007   #6
San Diego and Frisco, CO
Originally Posted by calendar16 View Post
The Reventazon runs about a IV-V and the Pacuare is a solid III-IV almost year round. The Pacuare has so many rapids...probably the highest number of rapids to distance ratio in the world.

Check out Whitewater Rafting in Costa Rica the guides are super cool and they feed you breakfast at their HQ and then an awesome lunch on the river.

Have Fun!

Pura Vida!

Cal, sounds like you know what's up there. I checked out their site and indeed they rent kayaks (EZs, etc.) and seems like they accomodate kayaks along with their raft trips. I am likely to be down there with a non- paddling spousal unit and no paddling pals. Can you advise a bit about whether said 'np' spouse could be entertained in the nearby locations where everyone would stay (which would be what btw?) and whether it is possible to hook up with folks to paddle with. Often I will find someone who teaches kayaking and hire them privately for some guiding / instruction. Sound possible in this situation?
Hablo un poco espanol.
Would love tips from anyone else too!
Kimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007   #7
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991

I wish the search feature on this site worked a little better as much has been said in the past about Costa Rica.

I would not focus on classification as significantly... I spent a few days paddling in Costa Rica and enjoyed the class 2-3 as much as the 3-4+ stuff. Generally because the experience of paddling there is so unique. For example the Pejibaye was one of the coolest experiences i have had yet. The whole river was covered by canopy with beautiful blue water, So amazing. The Pacuare is really big water so that adds to the flavor but very dirty (lots of mud). To compare the Pacuare felt alot like the Gualey. the scenery there was really cool as well. I did not make it onto the Reventazon, it was on my list but I got hurt. I was helping a friend portage and twisted my knee.

Rent a boat. Dont take one, it helps the boating community and hire a guide or go with a raft trip and pay for it, again it helps the boating community there. This is important as they have been trying to dam the pacuare for years.

Turrialba is kind of the Mecca of Cost Rica boating. Most of the rafting companies are there and most of the boat rentals are availabel there as well. Its a cool little town and worth the visit, based mostly on coffee but tourism is having its impact. We stayed at theHotel Interamericano (click the link) its a hostel, not luxurious by any standards but still very clean $12 a night. So your friends may dig a raft trip and may even like the feel of turrialba.

On a side note I would also encourage a visit totabacon was another one ot my highlights of a trip to Costa Rica. By far the most beautiful place I have ever been. It is a hotspring runing through a river bed. Several water falls that you can sit under with the water on your shoulders and such. Then afterward we went to Volcan Arenal and wathced Volkswagon sized Lava Boulders shoot out of the Volcano and down the mountain. Freaking awesome. We did not stay at the resort as we did not want to shell out that cash.

So there I am getting sick of talking about this, makes me want to go.

If you have any other questions feel free.

benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #8
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Besides Costa Rica, any other suggested central/south american rivers/runs in the class III-IV range?
ravenchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007   #9
Seattle, Washington
My wife and I will be flying into Liberia this February. I'd like to get at least a day of paddling in, but want to stay in the general NW area so we don't have to drive around too much. Any recommendations on a good river in the III/IV range that she could raft and I could kayak that is usually running that time of year?
Yonder_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007   #10
Leadvillian, Colorado
I'll try and keep this short but sweet...

Doublet, I think I've got you pretty well sorted out. Ferdinand Steinvorth world-class kayaker extraordinaire has offered to fire up all the class V you can fit into 2-3 days with you. You just need to figure out your intinerary and which days you will be available. One of the two of us will loan you a boat and paddle, but it's advisable to bring the rest of your gear. Email me when you know your dates and where you'll be coming from and I'll pass it on.

Kimy, there are lots of options depending on your needs and how you're working the boating into your CR vacation. There's a new web forum at Untitled Document that we're hoping will help paddlers coordinate dates so they can split shuttles (the biggest expense), so maybe that will help. There are a ton of cool things to do around Turrialba if your honey is an idependent and curious traveller, i.e. hike the volcano, canyoneer in a 150+ foot waterfall, visit the snake zoo, mountain bike, etc.

Yonder, there are two rivers in the Guanacaste region, the Corboci (class II) and the Tenorio (class III, IV) that are commercially rafted. February is one of the driest months of the year so I'm not sure what kind've flow you'll find. There's a Rio Tropicales franchise (read big commercial rafting outfit) in the pueblo of Corboci or Canas that could give you more information and possibly rent you a boat. Probably best if you stick to ocean surfing if you don't want to leave that area.

Good luck to each of you, and maybe we'll see you around!

Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote

costa rica