Old 01-19-2007   #1
Costa Rica resort question

My wife wants to go to a resort in Costa Rica near the Liberia airport. She wants to fly into Liberia to avoid the long drive. Great. I'll bring my boat.

But, the only resort she found near Liberia is in a cove which won't have good play waves. Does anyone have any suggestions for another resort near Liberia with good wave action? Or are there any good runs nearby?

This spot isn't where the normal good kayaking is in Costa Rica. Damm. It would be perfect if we found a spot where she could lounge on the beach and I could boat.

stof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007   #2
Liberia is in Guanacaste which is the driest part of Costa Rica. You'll be amazed how much the land looks like Texas scrub country. I don't know of any rivers up there, especially during the dry season. In Latin America most roads don't parallel a river, like in the eastern U.S., the rivers are only accessible by a concerted effort and any play waves are part of a greater river run. The Pacific side does have some great waves although I wouldn't bother dragging my boat all the way down there just to mess around in the ocean. I would rent a body board and look at the women, just don't let your wife catch you doing the later. Have a great time. Pura Vida.

farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
There aren't any runs on Nicoya, and you're pretty far away form the nearest river. I imagine the closest is the Sarapiqui, which would be at least 5 or more hours from there.

But- Tamarindo is the closest surf break. Maybe an hour from there, and it's not a bad option for kayaks because it's a long beach break with a river mouth, and you can find a spot away from the surfers to have fun without spearing anyone. Can't think of anything else near Liberia, because Liberia is pretty much a boring town.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007   #4
Be careful on any river near the ocean. Some of them have gators!!!

If you're just going down to the beach and not into the mountains to kayak, rent a surf board and chill on the beach. Traveling with a kayak is WAY more trouble than it'd be worth for anything less than a couple weeks of boating.
"Forever indebt to your priceless advice" -KC
DirtyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007   #5
Hey Stof,
I would really recommend that you go to the mountains instead of the beach because it is typically very, very hot down there. The weather is much more pleasant in the mountains. The beach is always about 90 degrees + with 100 percent humidity. Plus you'll have kayaking in the hills. That's just my 2 cents though. Have a great trip!!
cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007   #6
Tamarindo. For a resort Check out Witch's Rock Surf camp.
onebakedpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007   #7
I just got back from costa rica last night! All the rivers are pretty dry right now, especially in guanacoste which is where your wife wants to go. you might have a hard time kayaking if you are only travelling with your wife, i would recomend sticking to surfing, depending on how liong you are there.

I stayed at a place in Playa Grande called Las Tortugas which was really chill and had a beach with great waves. You can rent boards there from 10-15 dollars per day. A guy named sergio teaches lessons for about 20$ but he's a freak, i'd almost reccomend figuring it out on your own. Grande is within walking distance to tamarindo but far enough away from the huge crwods of tourons. I also really liked Playa Avellanas because it has good waves for you, more shade for the wifey, and less crowds. its really windy in guanacoste right now, which is good for the waaves but bad for getting sand in your eyes.

If you want more jungle with your beach go down to the osa peninsula whic is really remote and nice or over to the carribean side which will be much wetter. Saw lotsa animals on the osa- parrots, monkeys, crocodiles, etc. and they have the longest break in north amercia somewhere down there. other than that there are great mountains just east of san josefor rivers, but you're pretty far from the beach and san jose kinda sucks. check out the la paz waterfall gardens to drool over 85-120 foot waterfalls. Some look runnable with a good flow! anyways, have fun bro, pura vida!
Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #8
Leadvillian, Colorado
Quepos would be the obvious answer. Great ocean surf and the Sevegre and Naranjo Rivers nearby. Check out Chasing Jaguar by Lee Eudy for boating beta and a Loney Planet or Fodors guide for the resort.
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #9
Boatin', Colorado
Quepos is a good choice except it is a few hours south of Liberia. If you do hit the Quepos area and need a resport for the wife hit up the Rifiki Lodge between Quepos and Dominical. Right on the Savegre, private rafting operation and great people who love to show you the goods, if you show them respect. And there are plenty of goods in the area. If Dominical is firing it's some of the finest surf in the country, but it may be a bit out of season for that. Take stickers and old logo t-shirts for the kids.

Peev is offline   Reply With Quote

costa rica