Old 05-18-2006   #1
Costa Rica Kayaking

Hey I'm going to Monteverde, Costa Rica next semester from August 20 to around December 18, and am looking for places to boat and people to go with. Anyone have any helpful tips, or want to meet me down there? I currently know nothing about boating in Costa Rica except that it is good.

Jaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Monteverde isn't really that close to any of the good boating in Costa- it's a stout drive up a long dusty road. You're not too that far from Arenal (2-3 hours), where there are a couple of Class III stretches; and the Sarapiqui ( is just to the south of that region.

You'll be there long enough to plan trips to Turrialba- just walk into the Hotel Interamericano and you'll probably run into a group of paddlers in the lobby. Bring your personal gear, but buy a boat from someone getting ready to leave the country. If you stay there often enough, Blanca will let you keep your boat and gear under the hotel for a few bucks a week- that way you can take a bus from Monteverde down to Turrialba whenever you get a free couple of days, and you'll always have you stuff right near the rivers (but not have to cart it around the country). It's been six years since I've been down, so I'm sure other folks will have a lot more info than I do about shuttle drivers, contacts, places to rent stuff, etc.

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #3
Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
There is a guidebook called Chasing Jaguars that is pretty good, you can get it at amazon. We stayed at hotel interamericano last october and it was rediculously easy to hook up with other boaters, get a driver, boat, etc. We used martin as our driver and he was really good and we even got a free tour of all of the bars on the way home. Blanca must have been in a really bad mood when we were there she was really bitchy, i would not stay there if it were'nt for the kayaking hookups.
afox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #4
El Flaco is correct about Turrialba being the place to go. When I was down there we had Costa Rica Rios guide for us and I felt that it was worth it because we didn't have to scout each section and the shuttles can be pretty long. They would probably give you all the beta on going in a private froup you wanted if you stop in. Interamericana is the place to stay, if that's the hostel there in town, it's cheap and clean. We took a bus out there from San Jose and I want to say that it was less than $10. I would take your own paddle if you go, I remember most of them suck unless they've updated since then.
dasunluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #5
Turrialba may be the best base but Puerto Viejo is also good. I think there are runs closer to Monteverde ie Toro, Penas Blancas,Cano Grande?,although I didn't realize Monteverde was 2 hrs from the Sarapiqui.I know they do raft trips out of Monteverde and LaFortuna but maybe they drive a ways, they are pretty touristy so there may be some expat kayakers around.Seems like staying in Quepos would be cool,can run intermediate whitewater and go to the beach on the same day.Have fun.
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #6
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
The only good spot to paddle I haven't seen mentioned so far is the Pecuare. Also, it's worth going to one of the black sand beaches for surf session one day (board or boat). Have fun.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #7
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I didn't realize Monteverde was 2 hrs from the Sarapiqui.
It's not- sorry if that was little unclear. The Arenal area (Penas Blancas, etc) is 2-3 hours away, and then the Sarapiqui is probably a couple of hours east of that, as I recall. So the Sarapiqui is probably at least 4 to 5 hours away.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006   #8
corrections the other boating hub is La Virgen[Sarapiqui outdoor center}not Puerto Viejo,but you'll probably use PV as a transit point.Also yeah El Flaco ,Monteverde is way up in there ,I was thinking it was closer to La Fortuna,they are close as the crow flys but the road is indirect.
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006   #9
There's a guy in Turrialba named Diego who is listed in the chasing jaguars book who is a great guy, has the most boats of anyone in CR and they're the most modern. Fully bilingual and knows almost all of the beta.
contact me if you want more info
cdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006   #10
If your in Turrialba have Diego take you to the Upper Upper Pacaure. It's two sections above the popular Pacaure run. Its a 4-4+ run at good flows and its about as exotic\jungle as boating gets. There was an eddy above one of the class 4's that was created by a moss covered log that was about 40' in diameter. A really cool place.

Haven't done the Upper Pacuare, sounds like it gorges up and has some solid V's in there.

The regualr Pacuare run is a classic. Nothing to hard, big wave trains and a few holes you'll wanna avoid. Big fun and a good warm up.

mescalimick is offline   Reply With Quote

costa rica, kayaking