Old 01-25-2011   #1
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Costa Rica June or July?

I am planning a 2 week trip to Costa Rica this summer. We are hoping to spend 1 week surfing at the beach (surf boards) and 1 week kayaking. I know that there will be more water in July but hope to time it right to get sun while at the beach and paddle when it rains.

Anyone know if there will be ample water to boat if we go June 15-30 or is this still too early in the season for water?

jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011   #2
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2000
I'm in Costa Rica right now (I know, I know, I should be on the water not on the computer). June is still supposed to be dry around here. December was also "supposed" to be dry around here - it was far from dry. Maybe 70-80% of days were rainy and pretty large floods and landslides made it impossible to get on the water somedays.

Global climate change is definitely affecting when (and how much) it rains around here. A decision to come down here boils down to how willing you are to leave things up to chance. You might not see rain the whole time you are here. Or, you might just land on a random week of high rain. With that in mind, there are some rivers that are only runnable at lower flows and some that are damn released and should have runnable flows all year (so you aren't SOL if it doesn't rain at all).

Chasing Jaguars has pretty good information in it about when rivers are runnable.

Hope that helped a little

dfindley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011   #3
Geologist, Colorado

Yes that helps quite a bit. We should probably put the trip off until July 15-30. We are just trying to time it right so that we have sun at the beach and water in the rivers.
Old 01-31-2011   #4
Turrialba, Costa Rica
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to Canoera
Hi Jonny!

The weather at that time of year varies depending on what area of Costa Rica you'll be in. For such a small country, it's crazy that we have such different climate zones! We're here in Turrialba, whitewater central for CR. June/July are at the start of a rainy season, so you can expect rain at night and nice sunny days. Both months normally have really nice river levels! Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions about the area or about paddling here.

Pura Vida
Canoera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #5
Geologist, Colorado
Thanks Shannon. That is what I was hoping to hear. We want the best of both worlds. Sun at the beach and water in the rivers. I hope it goes as planned. Right now we are planning to be there the beginning of July. Should we skip the Reventazon? I read that the water was polluted. Or is it still worthwhile?

Old 02-10-2011   #6
Costa Rica Paddling Since: 1987
Send a message via MSN to crcreeker
june or july should be fine for your trip. you're likely to find similar conditions for both dates, and yes, it should be good both for the beaches and the rivers. what type/difficulty of whitewater are you looking for?

can provide guide services if you're interested...

cheers ferdinand
crcreeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011   #7
I'm going to be down there for a wedding over memorial weekend. Will there be water to boat? Was thinking of bringing my shredder down there and would like to get on something class III or IV. I've kayaked and rafted the Pecuare so was looking at one of the other rivers that might be running that someone would recommend?

vardaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

costa rica